11. Smile

Weekends are my only days of freedom every week, and they're usually spent running all over town from the bank, doctor's appointments, to the store, et cetera. Oh, the joy's of adulthood. Since both my parent's work, the weekend is the only time they're available to watch Haley, and they made an agreement with me that they'd take on baby-duty if I did their dirty work (aka. errands). I accepted.

So, here I am making my way into the post office to explain that we've been receiving some random guy's mail for three weeks. Someone who's never lived in our house because my parents literally inherited it from my grandpa. As I step through the door, Andy rounds the corner on his way out.

"Lin Diesel!" he hollers, gaining the attention of everyone within hearing range but not acknowledging a single curious bystander.

"What are you doing in town?" I ask, letting him drag me into a warm hug as I squeeze my arms around his torso.

"I took a four day weekend," he tells me. "Lexi's got a few tournaments that I didn't want to miss, so I figured I might as well make a mini-vacation out of it."

"And you're spending it at the post office," I say, lifting my brows in amusement.

"Oh yeah," he nods, crossing his arms over his chest. "Haven't you heard? The post office is the new hotspot these days."

"I had no idea!" I gasp.

He laughs and scratches his jaw. "So what are you up to today?"

"Just errands." I frown, hating the word.

"Your day sounds about as exciting as mine," he laughs. Pulling out his phone, he checks the time. "Hey, if you're up for it, maybe you could come by this afternoon. I'm staying with my parents while I'm in town and no one will be home. Maybe we can be bored together. I'd even be willing to pull out Guardians of the Galaxy." He wiggles his eyebrows at me, eliciting a laugh from my lips.

"That sounds fabulous," I nearly sing. "I just need to do some grocery shopping first."

"Yeah, that's fine," he agrees. "I won't be free until around two anyway. Just thought it'd be fun for the two of us to hang out like old times."

By old times, he's referring to the first couple of years in college just after Mike had packed up and left. Andy had been there for me every single step of my heartbreak and might be responsible for getting me stupidly addicted to Ben and Jerry's.

"That sounds amazing, actually," I tell him. "So... three-ish?"

"Yep. Perfect." He gives me a thumbs-up. "I'll see you then."

He starts to walk away but my voice stops him mid-step and he pivots on his planted foot to face me again.

"Oh, hey," I say, laughing when he nearly stumbles. "Did you want me to pick up some—"

"Naw."

I stutter for a moment, caught off guard by his interruption before quirking my lips to the side in a smirk.

"You don't even know what I was gonna say."

"You were gonna offer to pick up some ice-cream. Bourbon Pecan Pie, if I remember correctly." My opened-mouthed stare gives me away and he taps me gently on the temple. "I know you, Lindsey Brewster."

"Yeah, apparently," I answer, crossing my arms and shooting him an impressed lift of my brows. "Alrighty then, I'll see you at three... with my very own pint of Ben and Jerry's that I will not be sharing."

Andy laughs, patting my shoulder as he turns to leave. "You do that. See ya later."

———

Grocery day, something I secretly look forward to each week. It's been especially nice since my mom's been temporarily crippled because now I get to go alone and buy whatever I want. So, of course, I stock up on all my favorite midnight snacks.