12. Fluffy

I get to Andy's parents' house at three-o'-seven. They only live about fifteen minutes from Galesburg—where I live—in the small town of Knoxville. I still find it strange that I never knew Andy until college, considering how close we'd lived prior. Granted, he did attend a different high school, but somehow my brother was friends with him and other than a couple of brief encounters, he was practically nonexistent to me. Come to think of it, I'm no longer close with any of my high school friends. As siblings, Chuck and I made extra effort in steering clear of each other in those days, so even his buddies weren't mine. Now, we share all the same friends. Honestly, I think I'm closer with them now than he is. I suppose marriage will do that to you—divide the married from the singles.

Stepping out of my car, I lock up and make my way to the front door. Knocking, I step back and wait for an invitation. When there isn't one, I quietly open the door and peek inside. The house is quiet. Too quiet.

Did Andy forget I was coming?

I slip inside, shutting the door softly behind me as I let my eyes wander over the multi-level home. From where I stand, I can see down the three steps into the living room, but nobody's there. I peer around the corner into the room on my right to find that the family room and dining room are also empty.

"Andy?" I call, a strange discomfort taking residence inside my chest. It's been so long since I've been here that it feels weird waltzing right in without an invitation.

Setting the grocery bag of goodies down on the floor next to my shoes, I creep down the stairs and find Andy's bedroom door closed. Maybe he's in there with his headphones on and can't hear me. Tapping on the wood, I step back and wait for him to answer. When there's no response, I pull out my phone and send him a quick text while I take the stairs on my left and venture into the basement.

The air is colder down here and smells slightly of mildew, but from what I can see, no one is here. This is typically where all the movie-nights take place. It's complete with a mini kitchen and a full media center with surround sound, so I figured this is where I would have found Andy, but nope.

Sighing, I pull out my phone again and decide to give him a call. It rings several times and I swear I can hear the soft melody of its ring coming from upstairs. Andy's got to be here somewhere.

Taking the steps two at a time, I keep my ears alert for where the sound might be coming from. At first, I suspect it's coming from the laundry room, which happens to be directly next to his, but as I near, I realize that it's ringing from behind the closed door of his bedroom. He's got to be in there, but for some reason, he's ignoring my calls.

Rapping my knuckles against the door again, I call out his name a bit louder. Again, nothing. Feeling frustrated, I twist the knob and very carefully crack the door open. Keeping my eyes diverted, I call out for him again, but when I'm met with silence, I chance peering inside.

There he is, sound asleep on his bed.

A compassionate frown finds its way over my lips and I slip into his room and make my way to his bed. I didn't drive twenty minutes to get here just so I could drive straight back home. I even got my parents to agree to watch Haley for a couple hours longer than normal. There's no way I'm not taking advantage of this freedom.

Deciding it'll be fun to freak him out, I gently crawl up onto his bed before flopping heavily down beside him. He jolts awake from the sudden disturbance, his glazed eyes finding mine instantly. His face goes from startled to relaxed, and halfway amused, within seconds. He closes his eyes, a sleepy smile spreading across his face as his arms find me and tug me against his side.

"I fell asleep," he mumbles against my shoulder, nuzzling in closer to me.

"And apparently I'm stupid, so thanks for the explanation," I tease, turning in his arms so that we're facing each other. "I would have had no clue what your snoring meant otherwise."