22. Loyalties

^^^ Andy

---

Andy's taillights disappeared several minutes ago and I'm still standing outside the gate waiting for my heart to resume its normal tempo. What the heck just happened? And why can't I stop thinking about it? Andy is my friend. He's my friend. Except, now, instead of stupid jokes and innocent snuggles on his basement couch, my thoughts seem to be targeted on only one thing: him. His hands, his mouth, the warmth as his body pressed against mine. I shiver, but I'm not sure if it's from want or agitation.

This is wrong. So wrong.

I could spend the entire night thinking about what just happened between us. I could stand here convincing myself that it meant nothing and that I felt nothing. Maybe if I try hard enough I'll be able to forget it ever happened but hollering from the backyard interrupts my pointless attempts at self-produced amnesia. I want to forget the last five minutes, but without the assistance of a baseball to the head or some other head-on collision, that's not going to happen.

Thankfully, whatever ruckus that's taking place out back has helped me to temporarily put my turmoil on hold. Hurrying through the gate, I find Mike at a stand-off with Chris and Gavin... except Chris and Gavin seem completely lost as to what they're defending themselves for. They're still seated, offering each other confused glances while Mike hovers over them like he's ready to tear the hair from their heads.

"Maybe you two need to get your heads out of your a—"

"Hey!" I yell, cutting off Mike's heated words as I cross the yard and come to a stop beside Gavin. He stands as I approach and reaches an arm out like a bar across my stomach to stop me from taking another step closer. "What's going on?"

"It's nothing," Gavin explains, keeping his attention focused on Mike.

"Doesn't seem that way."

Mike sighs, running both hands through his hair before taking a seat. I share a concerned look with the other guys who shrug in return.

"I said something triggering," Chris explains quietly to me before turning his attention back to Mike and speaking louder. "Dude, I didn't mean for what I said to offend you. It was just my opinion."

"I know." Mike drops his head into his hands, fingers digging into his scalp. His hair has started to grow out a bit now but it's still not long enough to really grab ahold of. I have a feeling if it was, he'd be letting his frustration out on each innocent strand.

"Look," Gavin says, standing. "I think I'm gonna go." Then he sends Chris a pointed look. "You coming?"

Chris watches Mike for a moment longer before letting out a heavy sigh and nodding. "Yeah."

I want to force the two of them back into their seats. Beg them to stay. The thought of being alone with Mike after having just been blissfully kissed by Andy makes me anxious—like he'll somehow know. But, I also sense that Mike needs someone to talk to and it seems I'm the only person left for the job.

"What was all that about?" I ask, taking Gavin's vacated seat once the two of them have disappeared through the gate.

"Nothing," Mike groans.

"Nothing?"

"I don't really wanna talk about it."

I nod, biting down on my lower lip as I scan the backyard. I feel useless and I have this awful feeling that my lips are glowing. Like they've got LED lights implanted into them that light up anytime they've experienced a moment of excitement. I rub the back of my hand over my mouth and clear my throat.