2. Buffoons

Above photo: Gavin (cuz we all ❤️ him) 😽

---

Quietly exiting the bedroom, I snatch my purse from the kitchen counter and glance around the room. I find my dad parked on the couch with a bowl of Frosted Flakes and some old black and white Western playing on TV.

"How's she doing?" he asks, shoving a bite of food in his mouth.

"Fine," I tell him. "Just sleeping. I'll be back to give you a break in about four hours."

"No worries," he says, waving me off. "We'll be fine. I've got Clint Eastwood to keep me company. You just enjoy your evening."

"Okay, thanks Daddy," I say, leaning down to kiss his stubble-covered cheek. "If you or mom need anything, give me a call."

He smiles and nods. "Of course, Sweetheart."

He was always the more lenient of the two. Growing up, they'd both been overly protective. To the point that it significantly damaged our relationship for a while and made it difficult for me to commit in relationships. But, then college happened. I made huge mistakes and learned lots of lessons, and I think my parent's realized that mistakes are how a person grows and learns. They realized that they couldn't hold me down from experiencing life—the good and the bad—so they let go. They gave me choices and altered their way of thinking, letting me make my own decisions for the first time ever. To say that it's solidified our relationship would be an understatement. We've honestly never been closer than we are now.

It's amazing how healing letting go can be.

I let the door click shut behind me, taking in a deep breath of the fresh evening air. This is the moment I've been waiting for. Actually, dreading might be more accurate. All these guys that will be at the cookout tonight were my good friends ages ago, but now, other than Andy, they all live in their hometowns about twenty to fifty minutes away, making Galesburg—my hometown—the center meeting point. I guess we all got lucky living so near to each other; it's allowed us to remain close all these years.

I pass by the old high school, memories alighting in my mind as I remember my school-girl crush on Mike at the time. To think that I've cared about him for this long makes me truly believe we're destined for something great. You don't harbor feelings like I do if it's all for nothing, right?

Pulling up outside his home, I step out of my SUV and make the oddly familiar walk up to his front porch. His parents used to live in the city, but about a year into college, they decided they wanted a slower paced life. Since Mike and I had been dating at the time, he convinced them that Galesburg was the place. Their move to my hometown gave me such false hope. I'd thought it was a sign that our relationship was solid. And then it ended six months later.

Standing on the landing, I run my hands down my jeans a couple of times before hitting the doorbell. Five years ago, I would have simply knocked and walked in. I don't feel comfortable enough to invite myself in anymore.

When nobody answers, I ring again and follow with a few solid knocks. The waiting stretches out and I begin to panic, wondering if maybe I'd gotten the day wrong, or the time. Maybe this was all some sick joke to see if I'd actually show up at a party nobody wants me at. Before I know it, my self-doubt has once again snuck up on me.

I'm about to turn around and head back to my car, worried that if I stick around any longer I'll turn into a frazzled mess. I hate that my past has made me so insecure, but I guess that's one of the downfalls of making mistakes. You learn plenty, but not without the danger of a few bruises along the way.