26. Falling

I've avoided any confrontations with Abby for now. It was a painful week, but I managed to fake it enough to fool her into thinking I knew nothing. Now that Saturday's here, I can't be in the dark anymore. I need answers and since I'm not ready to address Abby yet, I have to see Mike. He knows things I don't and it's time he gives me a straight-up answer.

Parking, I throw open my car door, unbuckle Haley from her car seat and march up to the front door. I knock several times, withholding the desire to beat my fist against the door in frustration, and then step back to wait. I fidget restlessly as I count the seconds, switching Haley to my other hip to keep my hands busy even though they're anxious to pound on the wood barrier again.

Finally, I hear footsteps approaching. Tucking my hair behind my ear, I glance down at Haley and offer her a tight smile. Her face cracks into a toothy grin and I feel my chest squeeze in affection. The contrasting emotions warring beneath my chest only cause more confusion and the moment the door opens, I feel my ribs expand with a violent passion of rage.

But it's only Mrs. Wilkinson and I can't refrain from deflating when I see the delight spreading across her face when she sees me.

"Hi, Lindsey," she says softly, gesturing for me to enter. "How are you? And who's this?"

"I'm alright," I tell her, sugar-coating the truth with a casual shrug as if the last few days since learning about Abby haven't completely rattled my world. "This is my daughter, Haley. Is Mike home?" I offer Mrs. Wilkinson an apologetic smile, knowing how rude I might sound by brushing off her interest in the child she never knew I had, but she seems to understand my urgency.

"Of course," she nods, quickly covering up her surprise. "He's in the TV room. Just follow the noise."

"Thanks."

I send Shelly a quick smile and then hurry past her toward the sound of laughter and loud music. Pausing in the doorway, I find Mike sprawled out on the couch, a beer in one hand and the remote in the other as he stares at the screen in front of him—the source of all the racket. He's watching a comedy but doesn't seem to be sharing in their amusement. He's got the volume up so high he probably can't even hear his own thoughts, which is probably his intent.

He doesn't hear me approach and doesn't see me until I've rounded the couch and have come to a stop directly in his line of vision.

"Lindsey?" He seems almost pleasantly surprised to see me, but his expression quickly shifts to concern when he takes in my appearance. "Are you okay?" he questions, setting his beer on the side table and motioning for me to take a seat.

"No," I answer, voice tight as I fight against the wobbly words. Haley grabs at my face and I push her hand away before turning her around in my arms so that she's facing Mike. His eyes drop to meet her beaming face and he offers a distracted smile before glancing back up at me.

"Hey, mom!" Mike hollers, turning his head slightly so that his voice carries into the rest of the house even though he keeps his attention focused on me. A moment later, Shelly appears around the corner.

"Could you watch Haley for a minute?" he asks, standing and gesturing toward the sweet girl in my arms.

"Oh, of course," she coos, reaching her hands out for the child. I swear I've never been more grateful for the help.

"Thank you," I sigh, hugging my arms around my stomach.

"No problem," Shelly smiles and then exits the room with Haley clinging to her hip. "Hi, sweetheart," I hear her mumble to Haley. "You can call me Grandma Shelly."

Her voice disappears behind the closed door and then it's just Mike and me. Now that we're alone and I've had a moment to cool off, I'm even more lost as to how to address the issue in front of me.