9. Silvia

Sooo, I made it to New Zealand. My goodness, this place is beautiful! Pictures don't do it justice but I've included some pics below so you guys get an idea of the scenery I get to enjoy for the next 3 months!! I feel like I'm in a movie. :p

 :p

Okay, on with the story now

Okay, on with the story now. :D

---

We take Mike's car—after he lets me know just how lacking he finds me to be behind the wheel. Sure, I space out sometimes and forget to signal or overlook speed limit signs, but I'm not the worst driver in the world.

"You are," Mike counters when I try to defend myself. "As I recall, there was a time you nearly killed an entire group of motorcyclist simply because you didn't signal—or even look—before changing lanes."

"That was one time."

"Yeah, well." Mike shrugs, signaling for the left lane to turn. "All it takes is one time to ruin your life... or someone else's."

Um... this conversation just went downhill, real fast. If I didn't know the real Mike buried beneath the debris, I never would have caught the warning in his words. I wouldn't have realized that he was speaking from true experience. I wouldn't have sensed the excruciating guilt woven deep inside those words.

"Okay," I give in, not wanting to dredge up ugly memories of his past, nor do I want to sink this conversation into a discussion so dreary that we can't get out of it. Tonight needs to be fun and with the way it's headed, that's not gonna happen. "You're right."

"Of course I'm right," he grins, his tone lifting. "I'm always right."

"That ideology alone makes that very statement false."

He sighs as he parks the car and shuts off the engine. "You never could understand my incredible wisdom."

"Is that what you call it?" I tease, pushing open my door and hopping out.

We split up inside the store, Mike going on a search for chocolate and marshmallows while I scope out the Graham Crackers and roasting sticks. We meet back up at the cashiers, pay, and hurry back to my house.