31. Pieces

"Dinner is served."

I watch as Andy lays a dish of roasted vegetables down on the table before turning back toward the counter to pick up a plate of honey-glazed grilled chicken. It's just the two of us; his mom left to have dinner with one of her lady friends. I suspect she made those plans with the sole intention of giving Andy and me a proper date night.

We aren't taking things too seriously yet. Though Andy has refrained from visiting any casinos or buying any lottery tickets over the last couple days, he isn't in denial about how easily he could slip. He even calls me up on occasion just so I can help talk him out of sneaking off.

"You aren't trying to sway me to your vegan lifestyle, are you?" I ask, staring at the carrots, bell peppers, and sweet potatoes before me.

"Obviously not," Andy chuckled, taking a seat opposite me before and handing me a napkin. "You do realize vegan means no meat, right?"

"Yeah," I answer. "But, I wasn't sure if this was genuine chicken or some kind of Tofu imitation."

Andy grunts, lips twitching in amusement as he stabs his fork into a piece of chicken and sets it on his place. "I'm a health nut, not a nut-case," he informs me. "I don't eat dairy, sugar, or wheat... or Tofu." He makes a disgusted face.

"Wheat?" I question, scooping some mixed vegetables onto my plate. "What's wrong with wheat? I thought wheat was supposed to be good?"

Andy pauses cutting his chicken to send me a blank look, his brow quirked in doubt. "Is that really what you want to spend our evening talking about? Because I've got plenty of resources in regards to Celiac Disease, or how the US's modified wheat causes chronic inflammation in the body which in turn can cause chronic stress on the body. I could also—"

"Okay, okay," I say, holding up my hands in the air, my fork and knife pinched between my thumb and pointer fingers. "Please stop."

Andy laughs, shoving a fork-full of carrots into his mouth. We make small talk until our plates are empty and then Andy's disappearing into the kitchen before returning with two plates of dessert. Setting mine down in front of me, he leans down close to my ear.

"Don't ask what's in it," he warns, his breath warm enough to send a shiver down my spine.

"Why?" I ask, using my fork to skim the fruit drizzle off the top of the beautifully decorated cheesecake. "Oh goodness, please tell me there's sugar in this. I mean," I consider the sweet flavors coating my tongue and shrug. "I mean, it tastes like there's sugar in it."

"Good," Andy responds, holding back a chuckle as he takes a seat across from me. Even as he slides his fork into the fluffy, cream-cheese delicacy; that knowing smile continues to play at his lips.

"Okay," I concede. "What's in it?"

"I told you not to ask," Andy tells me around a bite of food, eyes dancing with mirth. "But if you must know... there's no cream cheese in this cheesecake... or sugar."

I place my fork on my plate and cross my arms on top of the table as I examine Andy. He's exactly the same guy I've always known, but he's also so different. He's older, smarter, wiser, and a whole lot hotter. But other than that, there's a depth to him that I never remember him having. Like he's seen a secret that he refuses to taint the world with. A secret that could destroy the more delicate aspects of life.

"Why are you such a health-nut?" I find myself asking, brows dipped as I search his expression for any clues as to his deeper emotions. "I mean, it's okay to let go every once in a while. Have a cheat day once a week or something. Enjoy life a little more. Do you ever feel like you're missing out?"