19. Secret

My brows lift and my jaw drops. The shock is impossible to hide. Andy, the most respectful, kind, honest one of our group has been hiding an addiction that none of us knew about. At least, from the way the others have treated him, I don't think they're aware of his problem.

I'm tempted to ask him why he never bothered to mention he's been struggling 'til now, but then I realize I've got a secret of my own. And mine's pretty darn huge.

"Uh, wow," is all I'm able to muster, pushing myself into a seated position and crossing my legs.

Andy sits up too, mirroring my posture as he dips his head to get a better reading on my expression.

"What is it?" I dare to ask. "Booze? Porn?" I clear my throat. "Women?"

Andy rolls his head around on his neck, a groan rattling from his throat. "Listen," he says, scratching the edge of his jaw, "Can we not talk about the details just yet? I mean, just telling you I've got a problem was hard enough."

I stare at him for several seconds before a frown droops across my lips. "Is it that bad?"

His shoulders sag and he shakes his head, either in disappointment of my response or of is own actions, I'm not sure. Makes me wonder if I might have guessed right and I find myself silently pleading with Andy that it's not women. That would explain his lack of interest in the beautiful women at the pool party. He disguises his issue with disinterest so nobody suspects he's got a problem. Oh gosh...

My stomach coils.

"And this is why I had such a hard time bringing it up," he says, running a hand down his face when I refuse to meet his gaze. "That look on your face. I've just dirtied your entire perspective of me, haven't I?

"No," I tell him softly, reaching a hand out and running my fingers against his. "I mean, yes, it's a big surprise. You were always the strong one in the group. You were always so good at standing up for what you thought was right. People were never able to sway you. Even at parties. If you didn't want to drink, there wasn't a person on the planet who could convince you to. You never cheated in college, even when the rest of us were cramming for a pop quiz that the previous class had given us a head's up on. So, yeah," I shrug. "Comparing the guy you are now to the guy you used to be, this news is shocking."

"I know—"

"But." I cut him off, my fingers tightening around his fist. His eyes drop down to watch my thumb as I smooth it across the back of his hand. "I'm not judging you. Out of everyone we know, I'm the least suitable person to be judging anyone."

"Right," he laughs sarcastically.

"You don't think so?"

"Why would I?" he counters. "You're perfect. You finished college, you found a steady job, you've got a supportive family. We just need to get you hitched to someone tall, dark and handsome and you'd have every woman's dream life."

"Yeah," I chuckle. "As long as that man's okay with my extra baggage."

"What extra baggage?"

I smile at him, but I can almost feel the dullness peering through the gesture. "You're not the only one with secrets, Andy."

This catches his attention and his head jerks up, eyes meeting mine.

"Come on." I stand and reach down to help him up but rather than stand, he tugs me back down in front of him.

"No one else knows about this," he tells me. "Well, except for Alec and Braydon. Aside from them, I just haven't felt comfortable bringing up my personal life. I feel comfortable with you though."