3. The Ex

Photo above: Andy Fletcher

Pleaes excuse any typos. Thanks! <3

---

Anxious to leave, I abandon any notion for a second plate of food and head for the house. I plan to say goodbyes first and then get out of here, but when I see Mike slouched in the living room through the sliding glass door, I change my mind. There's no way I can tiptoe past him without being caught.

Giving up on that idea, I resort to trying to get my mind off everything that's happened since I arrived by trying to interact with people. I want to ignore Mike's friend's insult, but it's hard. It's impossible not to wonder or doubt. Had Mike mentioned something about me? It's true, the second time we'd given dating a try, he'd been the one to end it. Was it because he found me boring? Lacking in some way?

I feel my chin tremble, and quickly bite down on my lip to keep my emotions anchored inside. Turning my thoughts away from the throb that seems to be throwing my heart off balance, I listen in as Chris tells a story about a prank he did to his girlfriend's brother. A moment later, Gavin comes to sit by me and rests his head on my shoulder, the scent of tobacco and peppermint hitting my nose when he sighs. At first I think he's trying to offer some comfort. Maybe he'd heard the insult Mike's friend whispered, or saw how Mike responded to my refusal to get in the pool. But when I glance down at him, I find his eyes shut.

A grin lifts my lips slightly at the serenity on his sweet face. He's always been attractive in a youthful kind of way. He was blessed with smooth skin and a gentleness that's enviable, but with that came the joking and teasing from his buddies. They all make fun of his inability to grow a beard—well, everyone but Andy. Andy's more intuitive about how words might affect someone and is usually the one stepping in to defend. Gavin, though, has never seemed to mind. He even makes fun of himself half the time, encouraging others to join him.

I pat his head gently, receiving a small smile in return.

"Can you play with my hair?" he asks, eyes still shut.

Laughing, I run my fingers through his hair, using my other hand to pull out my phone and shoot my dad a quick text.

How're you doing?

His response is almost immediate.

Stop worrying. We're all good here. Just have fun.

My dad suffers from diabetes, resulting in severe tingling in his feet. I tend to worry about him when I'm out, unsure if he'll be able to hold down the house while I'm gone. I know walking can be a challenge for him at times. He's stubborn though, which is why I'm here tonight. He insists that I enjoy the life I have rather than worry over unchangeable circumstances at home.

Tucking my phone away, I listen to Chris jabber, barely allowing anyone else a chance to talk. My eyes jump toward Andy's friend, Alec, just as he excuses himself from the group to take a call and I catch Andy's eye. He offers a quick wink before dropping his attention back down to his phone. From the looks of it, it seems nobody's really listening to Chris. When Gavin begins to snore on my shoulder, I get Chris to help me out. I think everyone's a little relieved that I was able to distract him enough to shut him up for a couple of minutes.

The two of us carry Gavin to the porch swing and, not so gracefully, drag him up onto its cushioned seat.

"You think he'll be okay there?" I ask, eyeing Gavin's rising and falling chest.

"As long as no one tries pushing him..." Chris says, a wicked gleam flaring to life in his eyes. "Actually..."

"No," I laugh, just as Chris reaches for the swing, ready to give it an aggressive push. "That's so cruel."