20. Haley

PROCEED WITH CAUTION! I didn't have a chance to really look over this chapter, so be warned... it might suck! :/

---

Pushing the door open all the way, I follow Andy into my bedroom and wait for his eyes to find the small crib shadowed in the dark corner of the room. His shoulders are relaxed as he scans the space but I know the moment he's spotted the crib when his shoulders stiffen. Then he's turning around, any reassurance or calm I'd felt moments before now dissipating beneath his questioning gaze.

"Lindsey," he breathes, watching me for a second before turning back around and taking quiet steps toward the sleeping child. "You have a kid?"

I don't respond as I follow him and we're both standing over her crib staring down at her tiny body nestled beneath her silky, pink blanky. As he stares down at her, my eyes are riveted to him. I want to know exactly what he's thinking. I want to see every feeling as it flickers across his face. And I do. I watch as the shock melts into a warm smile. He lifts his eyes up to meet mine and his teeth glimmer in the sliver of light pouring into the room.

"You have a kid." It's not a question this time, but rather an awe-filled observation, borderline melancholy. "She's beautiful."

I smile, glancing down. "Thanks." I slide a hand over her head, causing her breathing to hitch and her left arm to twitch from the contact. I freeze, making sure I haven't woken her before nudging my chin toward the door.

Andy nods and we silently leave the room. After quietly closing the door, I turn to find Andy watching me.

"Wanna talk on the patio?"

"Sure." He smiles and then follows me outside.

We both get comfortable, our chairs angled toward the backyard. I see the fire pit that we'd all enjoyed not all that long ago—even though it feels like ages—and I remember the horrible way in which Gavin and Mike learned about Haley's existence. If only I could have introduced them all to her in a way similar to the way Andy is, I don't think I'd have this thick heaviness in my gut. I almost feel like they're disappointed in me—or, at least, Mike is. I'm just glad I got to tell Andy on my own terms. Actually, I sort of wish he'd been the first to know.

"So you have a kid..." Andy starts to say, catching my attention. He smiles, letting me know that he doesn't judge me for any of it as he waits for me to fill in the gaps of my life.

"Yeah," I sigh, grinning at just the thought of my sweet girl. "She's almost nine months now. Her name's Haley."

"Is she why you went MIA on me all those months ago?" he asks, resting an ankle on his opposite knee.

"Yeah." I lean forward, propping my elbows in my lap as I stare at the sky—the stars almost invisible now that we're in town. "I went through quite a bit when I found out I was pregnant with her. I was ashamed that things had ever gone that far and I was ashamed that her dad wanted nothing to do with me when he found out."

"Is Jessie the dad?"

The question startles me. I know Andy's not stupid, but I'd sort of hoped he wouldn't put the pieces together so quickly. I'd almost prefer for everyone to think it was a one night stand rather than a failed relationship. A failed relationship that Jessie did a fantastic job of making me feel guilty for. Just because I was the one with the evidence growing in my womb doesn't mean I'm more at fault, but somehow, he'd convinced me I was. Thankfully, I was able to re-program myself into not falling for all his accusations.

Nodding, I glance at Andy and find his eyes on me. He leans forward when he catches my attention, mirroring my position with his elbows on his knees. Then he levels his gaze at me and lowers his voice.