Chapter 41|Fiancé

Knock. Knock.

Two knocks come from the opposite side of the door to my right, before it is opened to reveal my doctor. She steps into my examination room with a clipboard, closing the door behind her.

"Well, Aphmau, it seems the screening gave some new information."

I watch her face, trying to find some sort of emotion. Nothing slips through her well-practiced poker face.

"The screening showed damage to the surrounding tissue of the ovaries."

Ovaries. Plural.

"Wait... just one... or both?" I ask, watching as her façade softens to show some emotion. She maintains eye contact, even though I can feel her urge to look down to the tile floor.

"Both."

Both? Four months of suffering through symptoms without actual damage, and suddenly my slim possibilities are being erased rapidly.

I'm starting to think a bullet to the chest would be easier than this.

"What are my options?" I ask, ignoring the phantom pain in my chest as my heart rips in two.

"We will locate a medication to fight off the infection. In the meantime, we need to keep you and your immune system as strong as possible."

"What about pregnancy?"

My doctor takes a deep breath, tucking a few strands of her long brown hair behind her ear.

"I'm afraid you're running out of time. At the moment, pregnancy is possible, although not likely. There's no way of knowing whether or not a fetus would survive through the pregnancy."

"But it's still possible?" I ask, perking up at the idea.

"In essence, yes. Do you have a gynecologist?"

"Yes."

"I would suggest scheduling an appointment with them. This is a very complicated situation, and you need to be given as many options as possible."

I nod my head.

After explaining some options to me, my doctor leaves the examination room, signaling the end of my visit.

I leave the all-too-familiar doctor's office, just wanting to get home. I'd forgotten that Aaron was at work, so I was alone with my thoughts.

As soon as he was home, Katelyn and Kawaii~Chan dragged me out for a shopping trip to the mall. I guessed as much before they even said the word, observing their cute but casual outfits and purses. Katelyn only uses a purse when she's going shopping.

"But Aaron just got home!"

"I know, but you'll see him when we get back," Katelyn urges, lingering by the front door.

"Honey, you should go. You need a break from everything," Aaron says, coming up beside me. I turn to look at him, and his smile wipes away any distress from my mind.

"I just missed you, that's all," I admit, hugging his waist.

"I was gone for 12 hours, that's not any longer than a normal work day for me," he chuckles, wrapping his arms around me. "You'll see me in a few hours. Go have some fun."

I kiss Aaron goodbye, and the girls and I head outside into a beautiful April afternoon. The grass and trees are a brilliant green, the sky a bright blue.

"It's so... perfect out here," I comment, taking in a deep breath of crisp, clean air.

"Yeah, it is. Doesn't it make you want to stay out all day? Maybe watch the sunset... with a loved one," Kawaii~Chan says. Katelyn elbows her in the ribs.