• Chapter Eight •

Aaaaaaand, send.

I took a deep breath as the email went from "sending" to "sent."

I spend the rest of the day recollecting on what this could mean for my future. Thinking about how my future went from "maybe I'll be doing tech support until I get promoted" to "I'll be a mythical crew member and once that falls out I'll have opportunities at other places in the film industry."

Needless to say, I'm beginning to feel a little more secure.

The next day started out similar.

I slept in, woke up, and found that I had two missed calls from Nicole. One at 9:30 AM and the other at 10:30 AM. I call her back and lay flat against the bed, staring at the ceiling.

"I tried calling you twice." She greets.

"Yes, my phone told me so." I shoot back. "What's up?"

"They want you in for an interview. Which basically means you're already hired."

"Sweet. What should I wear? Something professional?" I ask.

"Something casual but professional. I dunno. They didn't interview me when I was hired." She spits.

"They didn't interview you?? Why are they interviewing me?!"

"Gotta go." She concludes and hangs up. I'm left to my own devices.

"She didn't even tell me when the interview is..." I mumble into my palms.

After she texted me that I could come in any time after 2 o'clock tomorrow, I knew what I had to do.

Go shopping for a casual/professional outfit. Most of my life I've been dressed wrong or looked like a bum. But not anymore! I, (f/n) (l/n), am starting a new chapter of my life. A chapter where I work with a bunch of cool and hip people, a chapter where I can dress casually and professionally with little to no effort!

"Oh, jeez." I groan, looking at myself in the store's dressing room mirror. A white polo shirt hugs my torso and a skirt far too short clings to my thighs. The crackhead look is all tied together by the 3 inch heels I picked due to them being on sale. A sales associate who had showed me to the dressing room eyes my embarrassment from the desk at the end of the hall.

"Do you need help picking out an outfit?" She speaks through her heavily lined lips and stares deep into my soul through her royal blue eyeshadow.

"Um, y-yes... please." I slide the shoes off and place them on a cart full of other abandoned clothes. "I have an interview at a very modern, uh, filming studio. Everyone there dresses casual, but I want to make a good impression." I explain as she approaches me.

She pulls a tape measure from her apron and takes my waist and bust measurements before holding her finger up in a "wait here  fashion. Moments later, after unzipping the skirt to help me breathe, she returns with a dark pencil skirt and a button-up sleeveless white blouse. Just looking at it, it already looks expensive.

"As long as everything comes out under," I flip open my wallet. "A hundred dollars, we should be good."

She nods and places the outfit in my arms. She also plops some black flats on top.

"This is...."

"$83.76 including tax."

"Excellent."

I return to the dressing room and quickly discard the terrible outfit I had chosen before gleefully sliding into the new, better one. I can already tell I look a hundred times better before looking in the mirror. And when I did, I felt much more at ease.

Stepping out of the room, I find her eyeing  me up and down before giving me a thumbs up

"Presentable. Want me to ring you up?" She eagerly suggested.

"U-um, yeah, let me get changed first..."