Chapter 4 - Insult battle

"Limit your words in insulting others, because sometimes the words you are using to insult them is the best word to describe you."

Their footsteps are loud in the quiet forest, but my heartbeat is even louder

Their footsteps are loud in the quiet forest, but my heartbeat is even louder. It is echoing through my skull and seemed to beat in time to the gradually getting quieter footsteps, as the person grows further and further away.

They had seen me.

I don't even know who they were. Did they even know who I am?

My eyes suddenly start to feel heavy with tiredness. All the thinking and flying was exhausting. I look around and find the stone marking which way is back and head home.

I flinch at every sound and my eyes jitter around the forest at top speed. All I can think about is that someone was watching me. And I didn't know until after I had exposed myself. I'm so stupid, how could I have not been careful enough to check around first. What if they tell someone that they saw me? I try not to think too hard about what happened on my way home, but it was hard.

As I sleep it is all I can think about, maybe I should start thinking about being extra sure that it is safe, otherwise my actions might have some consequences. The next morning is normal and I make my way to school per usual. It gets to lunch before anything interesting happens.

Heather, Caleb and I are sitting at our table eating lunch. Today macaroni and cheese is on the menu and I couldn't be any happier. Food literally controls my mood.

"How were your guys afternoons yesterday?", I ask.

"Alright", Caleb states through a mouthful of food, "not much happened, just had soccer practice as usual and then played overwatch until 11", he continued.

"Wow what a productive afternoon you had", I say laughing.

"I just had detention, thanks to your class, and then it was sleep for me", Heather says.

"Yeah I feel bad about that, I can't not admit that it was really funny though", I reply.

"What about you?", Caleb asks.

"Ah... not much, did some homework and had an early sleep", I lie. Caleb looks at me funny and then laughs.

"That's a first for you", he says, noting my habit of staying up late.

We all laugh it off and continue eating. Suddenly I feel a cold liquid run down my neck, and I freeze mid bite. Heather and Caleb look up and me and gasp. I hear the high pitch donkey laughs and know straight away who it is. I stand up and turn around with a scowl on my face. My eyes settle upon Vanessa and her crew of sheep.

"That milk suits you", she says and gestures to my now soaked top and hair.

"Oh, I thought you needed it more than me, children drink milk, don't they?", I reply.

"Are you saying I'm a child?!", she replies, not getting what I'm meaning.

"Well only a child would spill milk all over someone as a joke", I say and smirk. Her face goes red and she scrunches up her nose. "Careful, I thought extreme facial expressions could mess up the plastic surgery done to your face."

"You slut", she replies.

"Is that all you could come up with?", I reply, kind of annoyed that she resorted to calling me names.

"Well it's true, you are the only girl on the whole basketball team", she replies.

"Who cares if I'm the only girl on the basketball team, at least I don't sleep with everyone's boyfriends", I say and one of the girls behind her tenses. Vanessa is known for sleeping with people's boyfriends and it's not surprising one of them was one of her sheep's.

"You probably sleep with the whole basketball team", she says with anger.

"Bold of you to assume I've even slept with anyone before", I say, ok I've only had one boyfriend before, who cares? It's not that bad, I'm just saving my precious v-card for someone special.

She giggles and tries to punch me in the face, but I see it coming and dodge. Of course, she couldn't think of anything else to say, punching is a bit extreme though. I smile at her attempt and her face goes even redder. The next punch misses me again. I feel her fist go past as I dodge just like the slo-motion scenes in action movies. My fast reflexes are probably a new addition to my powers. Her mouth drops open and I smirk.

"You should probably do some boxing lessons if you want to get a hit on me", I say. She grumbles under her breath and walks away, her followers trying not to laugh as they go with her.

I look down at myself and scrunch up my face. I didn't bring a spare pair of clothes other than my basketball uniform.

"Need some clothes?", Heather asks.

"Yeah", I reply, "that would probably be nice."

After changing into Heathers extra pair of clothes and finishing the day at school I went to basketball practice as it was Thursday.

During warm ups I am faster than usual, and I am surprised at my new stamina. On my way home I am hardly tired and don't have the soreness like usual from our coaches brutal training.

I kick a stone and as I am watching it, I hear a scream from across the street. My head whips up to see a man grabbing a girl's bag. "Someone help!", the girl yells as he pushes her onto the path.

Without thinking I run across the street, straight into the drama.

Thankyou to anyone who is actually reading this, if there is any mistakes feel free to point them out. This is my first ever book so I hope you are enjoying it if you are reading it😊
-Super Bambi