Chapter 19 - Mr. Black Mist Tiger Dude

"Names have power"

I stand flat against the wall, the coldness seeping through my costume, and peek around and out the door of the toilets

I stand flat against the wall, the coldness seeping through my costume, and peek around and out the door of the toilets. My breathing sounds ten times louder, echoing in the hollow hallways. I hear whispers from the scared students lined up along the walls in a classroom nearby. Lockdowns are an uncommon occurrence in our school, so this is will be the main topic of conversations for a while.

I scan the hallways, not seeing anyone. I shuffle down the wall until I get to a corner and slowly look around it. The empty hallway gives off a sinister feeling. The still air making it eerie, like a horror movie right before a jump scare. I turn the corner, expecting just that, but when nothing happens, I sigh out in relief. I start floating along, as to not make any footsteps. A door to a classroom is open and I peer in, faces of pimply teens stare back at me with wide eyes. A girl sitting opposite the door claps her hand over her mouth, her eyes lingering on something behind me.

I freeze and read her mind. My muscles seize up, and I do all my best to act oblivious to the dark presence I now feel behind me. Time ticks by slowly, one second feeling like forever. Without wasting another moment, I turn around quickly, trying to catch the person off guard. I use my telekinesis to create a bubble around them, ceasing any movement from them. I take a proper look and my face mirrors my emotions. I gulp, thinking I've made a mistake on trying to be the hero.

The person struggles in my bubble. Their mask is white, with black holes for eyes, making the illusion that the holes just go deeper and deeper with no end. The black mist surrounding their silhouette seeps through the air, forming into a snake-like shape and sluggishly moving towards me. I have no idea who this person is, but I get the strong feeling that I shouldn't take them lightly. I fling my hand up, they fly towards the wall at speed and gasp as they hit the wall, pinned down by nothing but my powers.

"What are you doing here?" I say, my attempt at sounding intimidating feeble. The man laughs, sounding more and more like a maniac every time a syllable passes through his mouth. My hand flings backwards, as if I had touched something hot, as he breaks out of the invisible bubble. I struggle to hear his thoughts, but every now and then I hear a sentence. None of it makes sense and I panic, not knowing how powerful he is.

"Found you", he says. His voice rough and unpleasant. My heart beats in my chest as I try to stay calm. Why was he looking for me? Calmly the black mist snakes towards me and I stay still as it wraps itself around my body. I can see it, but I feel nothing, as if it's all an illusion. I put my hand to try touch it and my hand goes straight through like nothing is there. I think for a moment and turn back to him with a giggle.

"What other tricks do you have up your sleeve?" I ask him. I'm still unsure as to what power he had to be able to stop my telekinesis, but this black mist seems to not be harmful. Maybe it's just something to scare people, or maybe he can make illusions. The black mist quickly disappears, flowing into his hands until it's all gone. I hear a low growl and freeze as I spot a tiger near the end of the hallway. I look back at the man and hear the hum of a giggle from behind his mask, this must be his doing. I narrow my eyes as I try to hit it with a blast, when that doesn't work, I try to hold it in place but I can't seem to be able to grab it.

The tiger keeps coming, prowling along, low growls and sharps hisses echo along through the frozen air. I seem to catch the man off guard as I turn back to him, my body relaxed and unaffected by the carnivorous animal heading my way. He angrily flicks his wrist and the tiger charges, sprinting towards me with its mouth open wide. I try to stay calm and act worry free as it edges nearer and nearer. When it finally gets to me and grabs onto my arm with its teeth, I panic for a second, worrying that my guess and intuition was wrong.

I feel the tiger tug and pull on my arm, and I see my skin tearing open, blood oozing out. I breath out a sigh and look back to the man. "That's all you've got?" I ask him and I'm guessing he's shocked as he doesn't say anything for a moment.

"Your arm is getting ripped open", he says. "How are you not running away terrified?!"

I smile at him and reach out to pat the tiger. Instead of feeling the softness of fur, my hand goes straight through. The wound on my arm makes my heartbeat fast, so realistic I would believe it was real. That is if it hurt. But it doesn't, I couldn't feel as the tiger tore through my clothes and into my flesh, I could just see it. The man yells out in anger and the tiger vanishes, along with it my arm goes back to normal.

I go to do something to the man, but he isn't looking at me. His eyes are directed down the hallway. I turn my head to see what he's looking at and see a figure walking towards us. I notice it's a guy, dressed in all black, similar to me. The costume looks very similar to mine, gold strips going down the sleeves, a mask covering his eyes. I smile, when did he make that? The hood covers his hair, but one strand pops out, a strand of pitch black. I laugh as he does a spin and a golden lightning bolt is placed on his back.

He laughs a bit when he gets nearer, ignoring the presence of Mr black mist tiger dude. "Well? Do you like it?"