Chapter 38 - Hate is a strong word

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."
-Nikola Tesla

I make it to school the next day and meet Lucas at the door

I make it to school the next day and meet Lucas at the door. He clasps his hand in mine and breathes out slowly. He looks at me for a moment before I hear "Can you hear me?" I look at him in surprise and nod. Since when could he control whether I can hear his mind or not. "I'm practicing relaxing so that you can read my mind." he thinks.

"I'll make you practice more from now on then", I think with a smile. He smiles at me for a moment before it disappears.

"We need to make sure to keep under control until after school", he thinks and I nod. It is going to be hard to even talk to Asher without swearing. I can't even think about telling Heather that he used her. Soon we walk through the doors hand in hand and make our way over to the basketball team.

Heather and Caleb are there too. Caleb is so close to Damon that their arms brush against each other. Heather is standing next to Asher and I clench my jaw. I shouldn't say anything here. I feel Lucas' hand tighten around mine and I rub my thumb on the back of his hand in comfort. I look at him and see that he's glaring at Asher.

"Way to make it obvious that you hate him", I think. Lucas looks down at me and his eyebrows relax a little. I look over at Asher as he figures out what Lucas' glare is for.

"I can't help it, I just want to beat him up", Lucas thinks. "For what he did to Aiden."

I notice him take a step closer to me and so I unlink our hands, wrapping my arm around his waist. His arm makes its way over my shoulders as the group talks about different things. The conversation is normal but there is a heavy atmosphere hanging over the group because of what happened to Aiden.

"You two are so quiet", Julian suddenly says to Lucas and I. "It's like you're having a secret conversation or something."

I smile awkwardly and force out a small laugh. "We're just thinking", I say and look up at Lucas before looking back to Julian. "Lucas really wants to take up boxing."

"What?" Lucas says to me before realising what I mean. "Oh, yeah."

"Real funny", he then thinks.

"Boxing?" Asher says and laughs. "I don't see you as the boxing type."

Lucas tenses and glares at Asher. I see the rest of the group notice and I pinch Lucas in the side. "Oh you never know, he can throw a punch if he really wants to", I say with a fake smile to Asher.

"That's funny..." Asher says. "I thought his powers are the only thing that helps him in a fight", he then thinks. I give Asher a death stare, he obviously knows I can read minds.

"What's funny about it?" Lucas says with an emotionless voice.

"Oh just..." Asher says and thinks for a moment, a smirk forming on his face. "I mean, if you were put in a situation where you had to save someone you love, you'd probably not have the balls to fight someone", he then says, pointing out indirectly that Lucas couldn't save Aiden.

Lucas moves before I can stop him and punches Asher square in the jaw. Everyone gasps and pulls Lucas away from Asher. "What's gotten into you?!" Julian yells.

"You f*cking monster!" Lucas shouts, spit flying from his mouth. "Why'd you do it?!"

"Lucas calm down", I say but he ignores me. "Lucas!"

"Are you even human?!" He says and the boys struggle to hold him back. "How could you?!"

"It's not like you're any better", Asher says with a smirk.

"Asher stop!" Heather yells and slaps his arm. "What are you guys talking about?"

Lucas falls to the ground in defeat when Asher says that. I crouch in front of him and wipe the tears streaming down his face. "It's my fault" he says and sobs, his teeth grinding together in anger.

"No it's not", I say and glare at Asher, holding Lucas' head to my shoulder.

Students look over in curiosity and some of the teachers soon make their way to us. "Asher you're such a moron", I spit out. "Nothing compares to what you helped do, if you don't even feel a little guilty then you're nothing but a filthy psychopath."

The bell rings through the chaos and I see Sasha make her way to us too. I help Lucas stand up and without caring about anything at the moment I walk over to Asher with a scowl on my face. He smirks at me but I wipe it off his face as I slap him.

"Kaylee!" Heather says in shock. "What are you doing?"

Ashers looks at me, his lip bleeding and a angry glare in his eyes. I spit on him and take a step back as he tries to step towards me.

"That's enough", I hear Sasha say sternly from behind me. "Leave him for now, Kaylee."

I turn away and take Lucas' hand, leading him away from the crowd and out of the building. We can skip school for one day, I never wanted to be here today anyway.

^^^

Lucas punches the gym wall with such strength that it slightly shakes. He screams out in anger and sighs. "I can't believe I didn't just kill him there and then", he says.

"You're not a murderer", I tell him and sit down on the ground.

"I should've punched him a second time", he says, and turns to look at me. "That slap was pretty bomb though."

"Thank you", I say with a confident smile. "I'm quite proud of it myself."

Lucas sighs and sits down, leaning against the wall. "What are we doing here?"

"Trying to be funny?" I suggest and he shakes his head with a smile.

"I mean, shouldn't we just bring Asher here and question him?" He says. "We know he's part of that organisation anyway."

"You think we can just bust into school and kidnap him in front of the whole school?" I ask. "We can't really do that."

"Or can we?" He says and gets up. "Come on."

He pulls me up and leads me to the changing rooms. "What are we doing?" I ask him. He opens up my locker and grabs my costume out. He chucks it at me and it lands on my head. I take it in my hands and look at the ghost sewn on the back with a smile.

"We're going to do what you just said we can't do", he says. "Let's go kidnap that kidnapper."