Chapter 9 - Flashback

"Sometimes, memories are the reason why we can't move on."
-Unknown

"But more importantly", Caleb says

"Who's behind the mask?"

I hum with fake agreement and look around the cafeteria at all the students. If I am going to keep doing things like this around the city then it's going to be hard to cover up when I'm missing. It will be easy if it's not during school seeing as some days mum is at work, or I can fake being tired and going to bed. I'm just glad no one questioned my sudden urge to go to the toilet.

I'll just have to see where being this mystery person takes me.

^^^

I get home from school to find my mum in the kitchen. "Hi darling, how was school?" She asks.

"It was ok, there was a whole thing with a random dude coming into the school during last class, but it was nothing", I reply.

"Did you just say someone went into school? What for? Was he dangerous?"

"I don't know what he was there for, he didn't go to the class I was in, I missed it all because I went to the toilet anyway. Apparently he was going to hurt someone but some person in a mask came and stopped him."

"That's not nothing Kaylee, are you alright, did anyone get hurt?" She asks with concern.

"Not that I know of", I say with a shrug of my shoulders. "I'm gonna go and do some homework now."

I get up to my bedroom, close the door, and fall back onto my bed. The enormity of today's events suddenly dawns on me and my breathing becomes laboured. I let out a long breath as tears form in my eyes. I sob and the tears start flowing down my cheeks.

If I didn't have my powers, I would've probably been dead by now. I make sure my door is locked before going to my bed and letting my emotions flow freely. I lie there hugging my pillow and just crying, because I think I deserve a cry session. I remember what Mr Popwell had said in class and cry even harder.

Why do things have to happen to me. Being a hero is scary, and if I am going to do more, then today probably isn't even considered that scary. My mind wavers to the image of my dad. His smile kind and loving, making dimples in his cheeks. I loved his dimples. Thinking about him makes me pull up my top and trace my finger along the long scar across my stomach. I still can't believe it's been nearly 4 years.

Warning: contains some graphic content and description of a car accident. If you are sensitive to this kind of thing, then skip to the next chapter.

____________Flashback__________

I laugh as my dad tells yet another cheesy joke. My cheek muscles start to ache, but I can't help but smile at him. I look out the car window as I listen to my parents converse about adult things I don't yet understand. The trees fly past and the late afternoon sunlight peaks through.

My dad makes another joke, something about penguins, and I go back to looking out my window. We come to an intersection and the light is green, signalling that it is safe to go through, except in this case it wasn't.

We are in the middle of the intersection when the car hits us, slamming into the driver's side and sending our car spinning to the side of the road and off the edge, down a hill. The car rolls and rolls, I see it in slow motion and as my window shatters and a piece of glass flies across, leaving a long cut along my stomach.

I scream and cling onto the sides of my seat. When the car finally stops my breathing is heavy and tears stream down my cheeks. I clutch my stomach with one hand and with the other I undo my seatbelt. I pull myself up to see into the front seats. My mum is passed out, blood creating a line down her face, separating it into two.

I look at my dad and start sobbing, there is so much blood. "HELP", I call, hoping someone will come. My stomach stings and I sit back into my seat. I try open the door, but it is stuck. Slowly and carefully I slide across the back seat to the other door, holding my breath each time I move. I clutch the handle and pray that the door opens.

It does, and I weakly push it open, leaning into it to help. The door flings open, sending me scrambling into the grass. I hiss as my stomach stings against the impact and I look down to see blood seeping through my shirt. I hastily take my jacket off and tie it around my middle. I reach out from my spot on the ground and try to open my dad's door, but it doesn't budge.

I sob, feeling so useless. They're hurt and I can't even get them out. I carefully reach into my pocket and feel for my phone. I find it and bring it out so I can see it. The screen is majorly cracked but I press the on button, hoping it will somehow still work. The screen lights up with the distorted picture of our family as the lock screen. I quickly type in the emergency number and wait as it rings.

"Hello, what's your emergency?" A lady says through the phone.

"H-Hello? Um... We just got into a crash", I sob them continue, "I-I got out of the car but m-my mum and dad aren't awake."

"Ok dear, do you know where you are?"

"Aeredale city, I don't know where, but the car rolled down a hill at an intersection", I say I pause, trying to breath properly. "There's a lot of blood, I don't know what to do."

"Ok dear, we got a recent call very similar to what you described, if you wait a little while the ambulance and fire truck will be there soon to help you."

"Will my parents be ok?"

"I don't know sweetie, stay on the phone with me while the ambulance comes. Are you hurt anywhere?"

"I got a cut on my tummy, but I wrapped my jacket around it, my parents are hurt can you please help them?"

"Don't worry sweetie, the ambulance will be there soon", she says, and that's the last thing I remember before it all goes black.

_________End of flashback________

I know this is the typical 'family member dies in a car crash' back story that a lot of books/ movies have, but it is something that happens. It is unfortunately common for people to have accidents like this and although it is used a lot in books/movies, the reason why is because it does actually occur a lot. I tried my best to describe what I think it would be like and it won't be perfect. Keep in mind that it is hard to know what thoughts would have been going through her head as it happened, so I mostly described what she could see.
Thankyou again if you're reading my book, even just one view makes my day.
- Super Bambi