Chapter 29 - Guilt

"No amount of guilt can change the past and no amount of worrying can change the future."        
-Unknown

I look around and pause when I see a figure at the edge of the school

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I look around and pause when I see a figure at the edge of the school. They see me looking and disappear around the corner, so I start jogging to catch them.

"Stop!" I shout as I get around the corner, I see them running a little way away so I speed up. I sprint and my legs start burning with the effort. Swiftly I lift myself off the ground and fly through the air with ease. I catch up to them and tackle them down to the ground. They struggle under me and before I can pin them down they start forming a large ball of what seems to be energy in their hands.

I roll off to the side just in time as they shoot the ball, it goes flying out and hits the side of the school building. I scramble back to them and quickly read their mind, knowing what their next move is next. They go to form another ball but I hit their arm, sending it off to the side. I kneel over them and pin their hands down with my telekinesis. I reach out and take off their mask.

A man I don't recognize glares at me and wiggles under my grip, trying to get free. "Who are you?" I ask him, "What do you want?" He keeps his mouth firmly shut and refuses to say anything. "Ok then, I'll find out the easy way."

I while holding him with my telekinesis I find a rope and tie him up, leaving him to lean against the wall. I reach out my hand and place it on his head, closing my eyes in concentration. I find out that he was with some other people but I don't find out who as he just worked with met them for the first time just before exploding the bomb.

I see memories of being with the same disguised man that I saw when I looked at that girl's memories. He doesn't know who it is either. I come across a memory not that long ago and concentrate. I stand in a dark room as the mystery man walks forward. "We have received information on the identities of Golden Ghost and Golden Bolt", the mans says in a deep, croaky voice. "I need you to kill them."

"How?" I hear myself ask.

"They're still in high school", the man says. "I want you to blow it up."

"Will that work?" I ask.

"Hopefully", the man says. "If not, who cares."

I return back to reality and glare at the man. "You decided to kill innocent people just to get us?!" I yell at him, "You weren't even sure if you would get us, but you did it anyway and didn't even care about all the people you could kill!"

He looks at me, wondering how I knew and figures it out slowly in his head. He starts laughing, getting louder and louder. "Ordinary people don't matter anyway." The man says and I scoff, "They'll be our slaves soon, why bother keeping them alive?"

With that comment I punch him in the jaw. I hear a smack as his head hits the wall and I sigh as he goes unconscious. I pick him up and take him back to where everyone is gathered. I find the police and give them the man, explaining that he is suspected to have planted the bomb. I find Lucas and we leave the scene.

"Are you guys ok?" Sasha asks as we arrive at SS. "I saw on the news about the bombing at your school." She looks us up and down, she notices my bleeding arm holding onto my side. "Get Emily to have a look at both of you", she says in a motherly voice an pushes us down the hallway. We get to the medical room and Emily rushes over to us, she holds mu shoulders and looks me up and down.

"Oh my gosh I heard what happened, come on, take of your costume and lets get you healed up", she says to us and pull us into the room. Emily quickly heals the cut on my arm as I strip myself of my costume. "Is there anywhere that hurts?" She asks and I point to my side. She places her hands on my side and heals the broken bone. "Alright into the shower you go", she says and pushes me in the direction of the shower, turning her focus to Lucas.

__________Lucas POV___________

I leave SS and make my way to Aiden's house. I walk in the door and call out "I'm home!" No one replies and I take that as an indication that my Uncle is not home. I go quiet as I hear a sound coming from Aiden's room.

I make my way down the hallway, hearing sniffles as I get closer, and knock on Aiden's door. "Aiden, you in there?" I ask and when I get no reply I open the door and walk in. I see Aiden sitting on his bed with his legs crossed. His head is in his hands and his whole body is shaking. I bolt to him and stand in front of him, dropping my bag on the ground in the process. "What's wrong?" I ask and he looks up at me with tears in his eyes.

"What's happening to me?" He says in a small, trembling voice. He looks down at his hands with a scared look on his face. I look at his hands and see them glitching, disappearing and reappearing again. I grab them and watch as they disappear but I can still feel them. "Something is happening to me Lucas."

He sobs as his arms start to disappear and I feel his hands vibrating in mine. He grabs my arms with his now visible arms, terror in his eyes. "Why is this happening to me?" He asks and squeals as a single one of his fingers disappears and reappears. I grab his hand and watch in fascination as it disappears again.

I look back to Aiden's face and he looks at me like a child. "Hey, it's going to be alright", I tell him and pull him against my chest. "There's people who can help you, I'll help you."

"You're not going to send me to the government to experiment on me are you?" He asks and I laugh.

"No, of course not", I tell him.

"There's more than just me disappearing Lucas", he mumbles into. "I don't know whats wrong with me, but I can hear better, see better. It's hard to explain, I can just do everything better than before."

"Like a superhuman?" I ask and I feel him nod.

"I can hear your heart beating", he tells me and I find it strange as I thought that's normal. "But not just that, I can hear the blood flow through your body with each pump, like a river. It's scary."

I look at the top of his head with confusion. He can hear my blood like a river? "Do you think there other people like me?" He asks me and I nod. I pull apart from him and sit down next to him. He watches in awe as my fingers light up with sparks. I let them travel up my arm and he watches as they wrap around my face before disappearing.

He laughs, "That was awesome." He says but his smile is soon gone from his face, "I got my powers just before the bomb went off Lucas."

"Did you hear something?" I ask and he nods quickly, "What did you hear?"