Chapter 20 - Darkness

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
- Martin Luther King Jr.

I go do something to the man, but he isn't looking at me

I go do something to the man, but he isn't looking at me. His eyes are directed down the hallway. I turn my head to see what he's looking at and see a figure walking towards us. I notice it's a guy, dressed in all black, similar to me. The costume looks very similar to mine, gold strips going down the sleeves, a mask covering his eyes. I smile, when did he make that? The hood covers his hair, but one strand pops out, a strand of pitch black. I laugh as he does a spin and a golden lightning bolt is placed on his back.

He laughs a bit when he gets nearer, ignoring the presence of Mr black mist tiger dude. "Well, do you like it?"

"What made you think of matching outfits?" I laugh at him, watching as he clumsily does another spin.

"Oh, you know", he says. "I'm unoriginal and I thought maybe we could be partners."

"Oh", I reply. "Well that sounds like a great idea to me. Now why don't we stop this guy and talk later?"

I turn around and flinch as I find a gun pointed straight at my head. "Since when where there two of you?" The man asks with his grating voice. "I guess boss will like this." I stare at the gun and it flings out of his hand. He seems to be getting more aggravated, the black mist forming around him once more. "I wasn't going to do this, but you gave me no choice", he says as his eyes bore into me.

The black mist comes to me once again and circles me. Lucas looks at me with worry, knowing neither of us know what he is talking about. Suddenly I'm overwhelmed by emotions. I scream at him, asking what he is doing but he continues staring. I start shaking and fall to my knees, tears streaming down my face. It feels as if I'm having a panic attack. Images of anything sad comes to my mind, and my heart starts to ache. The feeling of depression bears down on me, swallowing me whole and digesting me in its stomach.

I scream for him to stop. "STOP", I hear Lucas yell as my sobbing continues. From the corner of my eye I see as he tries to get to Mr black mist tiger dude but is stopped by an invisible barrier. At least that's what I think until he's standing there in shock, lost for words over something I am unable to see. "Stop..." I weep, my eyes pleading him through my mask. "Please just stop..."

I try to concentrate on something else, try to distract myself from the darkness soaking up my heart. I gaze over my shoulder, my eyes finding the girl from before. I sob again, my whole body vibrating. My eyes wander around until they find Lucas once again. He looks to be scared of something, probably the man making an illusion. Our eyes meet and he must see the desperation in my eyes. He gulps, looking back into blank space. He is about to run forward and try to surprise the man, but I notice the black mist creeping through the air towards him too.

"Please no" I beg him. "Please not him." I watch, feeling hopeless as the mist hovers closer and closer towards Lucas. "PLEASE" I beg again, repeating it over and over, until the mist is just about touching Lucas. I scream, power cursing through my veins. The sound echoes though the hallway. I feel a great weight lift off me as I send a big wave of telekinesis out of my body. The man goes flying backwards and hits the wall with such force that he's knocked out cold.

I collapse on the floor, panting and out of breath. Lucas rushes over to me and hold me in his arms. I look at him, there's tears in his eyes. "I'm sorry", he keeps repeating. Over and over again he apologises, murmuring in my ear. He pulls away and stands, pulling me up with him. We go to walk but my legs give out again and Lucas catches me. He gets his phone out, ringing a number from his contacts and putting it up to his ear.

"Hi, Sasha?" He says. "Yeah there has been an incident at school." He pauses, listening as she asks questions. "Kaylee seems to be hurt, the guy had some weird powers, but he's knocked out cold", he tells her. "Yeah I'll take Kaylee out back to wait for you, the police shouldn't see us."

He hangs up and swings my arm over his shoulders. He walks with me and I slowly regain some strength. My legs are still shaking and weak when we get out the back doors of the school and into the teacher's car park. Just as we get out, I see a car pull in and Sasha bolts out from the driver's side. She takes my other side and helps Lucas carry me to the car. They place me in the back and get in the car, Sasha driving and Lucas taking the seat beside me.

Sasha speeds out of the car park and we watch as we pass a police car, making its way to the school. I feel a tear making a pathway down my cheek and sniff. Lucas grabs my hand and squeezes it. I look down at our interlinked hands and then up at him. He reaches his hand up and wipes the tears off my face, his touch is light and delicate like he is afraid of hurting me. He puts his hand on the side of my head and places it on his shoulder.

I relax, breathing out a shaky sigh. I glance up and see Sasha looking at us through the mirror. She smiles at me, but I'm too tired to smile back. My eyes start drifting closed, bowling balls weighing them down. "Kaylee?" I hear Lucas say, his voice distance and echoey. I try to open my eyes again, but the edges of my vision fade into black and I pass out.