Chapter 17 - Some people Should not be Teachers

Images come to me, just for a second, but I see so much

Images come to me, just for a second, but I see so much. I see his fists light up, illuminating his terrified face. His jaw is tense, and his eyes are watery. He is scared, so scared. As I think back, I can tell he had no idea what he was doing. His trembling hands are held out, he is so petrified, of the power burdened on his small self. There's a burst of light and screaming. Then it's over.

I look at Lucas, it was him when he was younger, I realize, the features similar, yet so different as the face I saw a glimpse of was innocent and scared. The now Lucas is mature, thoughtful, and I now realise, scarred. The mysterious face is now even more mysterious. I wonder if this event in his life is why he is so closed off and doesn't tell us much about before he moved here.

I can't help but look at him with sympathy as the image of him with tears running down his face comes to my mind. "What's wrong?" He asks, "did something happen?"

"Nothing", I say and smile at him. I then realize this is the first time I've read someone's mind but instead of hearing their voice, I saw their memories. I start to wonder if I could read someone's memories without them thinking about it but my thoughts are interrupted when my fork makes a loud scraping noise against my plate. I look down to see my plate empty, and frown.

"Let's go", Lucas says, and we get up and leave.

Lucas and I push through the school doors and into the crowd of people. In the corner of my eye I see familiar faces and turn my head to see the basketball team with Heather and Caleb. We make our way towards them and join the group of people. Aiden greets Lucas with a hug and smiles at me over his shoulder. I smile back and look around the group of people. Noah and Josh chatting, Owen and Julian laughing, Carlos and Hee-chul arguing, Max texting on his phone, Damon and Caleb whispering, Asher observing everyone, Aiden and Lucas talking. My eyes finally fall on Heather, looking at me.

I go to her and she pulls me away from the group. She wiggles her eyebrows at me, and I give her a look of confusion. "What?" I say.

"You wanna tell me why you and Lucas just so happened to come to school together?" She asks, with a smirk. I roll my eyes. "And also, why do you have a bandage on your arm, what happened?" I could make up an excuse without mentioning a secret camp for people with superpowers, but I choose the easy way out and ignore her, letting her mind come up with a scenario by itself.

The bell rings and we go to class. The day goes in a blur, classes mixing together, information going in one ear and then out the other. Until it gets to the last class and I have Mr. Popwell nagging at me once again. "Kaylee, you look distracted, detention for being distracted in my class."

"But I was doing all the work, you can't give me detention for doing my work!" I reply in anger. My hatred towards him has slowly grown so much that I don't even care about arguing back, even with my beliefs of respecting teachers.

"No buts, you have detention."

The sound of my chair scraping against the floor rings through the classroom as I stand up, anger getting the better of me. Lucas looks across at me with disapproval, his eyes begging me not to start anything. "This is unfair."

"Life is unfair now sit your ass back down on your seat." He says, "Lucas, make your girlfriend sit down."

I look at him with my mouth open, "Girlfriend?!" I ask. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh, you guys aren't-", he says pointing to both of us in fake shock and then laughs tauntingly. "I thought that was the reason you guys came to school together, unless you're friends with benefits." My mouth opens wide and I scoff. "It must've been a bit rough last night", he says while gesturing to my bandaged arm. I knew he was sick, but not this sick.

He wiggles his eyebrows at us while making crude signals with his hands and I snap. I launch at him with my fingers bent like claws. Who cares about fighting properly when I'm this angry? I scream as Lucas grabs hold of me. I felt a small jolt of electricity on my side and Yelp. I look down to see Lucas has taken off his gloves and used his powers. I look around the class, everybody is focused on us but didn't notice it. He looks at me with a look saying to stop so I slap his arm and he puts me down; my jaw clenches and my eyebrows pull together as I look back at Mr. Popwell.

Without saying anymore, I march out the door, my steps don't echo in the empty hallway but I'm too worked up to realise. I hear footsteps behind me and am greeted by Lucas as I turn around. He stares at me but doesn't say anything. He places his hand on my shoulder and the pounding in my chest slows down. My feet touch the ground and I then realise I've been floating. "I mean what kind of person does that?" I ask Lucas and he shrugs.

I look down at my arm, tracing my fingers over the layers of material. "Why does it have to be me who has powers?" I ask Lucas, my voice cracking. "I mean if you guys hadn't found me then I could even be dead now", I say.

Lucas looks at me, his eyes slowly taking in all my features, before pulling me into a hug. "I know it's hard, but just remember you're not alone anymore, we're here for you. I'm here for you", he whispers.