Chapter 18 - Maybe

"Life is about choices. Some we regret, some we're proud of. Some will haunt us forever. The message: We are what we choose to be.
- Graham Brown

As I dribble the orange ball through the numerous coloured cones, I think about how I could literally see what Lucas was thinking

As I dribble the orange ball through the numerous coloured cones, I think about how I could literally see what Lucas was thinking. The fact that I normally can't hear Lucas' thoughts, but I could see them that one time meant that maybe I could do it again to others. I look over at Aiden beside me and hearing his thoughts first. I concentrate and think about seeing them and watch him as he runs up and shoots a three pointer. I blink and realise that he's still in the same place dribbling.

It must've worked, as he then runs up and does a three pointer, identical to the one he seemed to do just a second ago. He was planning out his shot in his head, clever. While lost in my thoughts the ball leaves my hand and rolls along the floor away from me. "Concentrate Kaylee", our coach says, and I run to get the ball.

After basketball practice, I make my way to SS with Lucas. I meet with Sasha and tell her my new findings. "Do the people you're reading the mind of notice anything?" She asks me.

"Nothing except maybe me staring at them", I laugh.

"That's cool, we'll work on that sometime", she smiles at me and I leave her to go to the gym.

I warm up and then join one of the classes, merging into the group in front of a slim, athletic man. He starts explaining that we have to pair up and fight without using powers. I gulp, knowing I'm nothing without my powers. The most I could do is throw a punch. Even the techniques I used to scare off the robber that one day are no match for the strength of these people. Everyone scattered away forming pairs until one person other than me is left.

I take a look at the girl up and down. I smile as I offer for us to be pairs. She rolls her eyes at me and doesn't say anything as we make our way to a square of thin mats. We stand facing each other and wait as the trainer blows his whistle. The girl lunges at me but I see it first and dodge. I notice that I'm using my powers and try not to read her mind. I watch as she swings her fist forward, hitting me in the stomach.

Before I can gasp for air, she goes to punch me again, but I dodge. I soon get the hang of it and we spar back and forth, neither one of us stronger than the other. She starts getting annoyed and comes at me with more force and speed. I struggle to keep up and she lunges at me, pushing me to the ground with her on top. She goes to punch my face, but I put my arms up just in time to block her. While my arms are occupied, she hits my stomach again and I cough.

I try to push her off me, but she doesn't move. She hits me again in the side with more force than I could ever have thought, and I scream out as a sharp pain jabs my side. Tears prick my eyes, but I manage to push her off me. She goes to punch again but is interrupted when someone grabs her arm. I let out a sigh and look up at the person. Lucas looks angry, he is holding her arm so tight that I can see her cringe.

I look around at everyone looking at us and the trainer comes over. My hand hovers over my side, instinctively protecting it. I wince as I touch it. The trainer looks at me and then at the girl. "I told you not to use powers." He says to her and I look at him confused.

She looks down with guilt on her face. "Didn't you notice how easily she broke your ribs?" Lucas says to me. "She hasn't been training for that long, she couldn't have done that without something helping her."

I read her mind and find that she has strength. When I look at her, she doesn't apologise. "Excuse me", I tell her.

She looks at me. "What?" She says, clearly annoyed.

"Aren't you going to say sorry", I tell her. "That bloody hurt."

She rolls her eyes and walks away. As she's going, I read her mind and look down at my feet awkwardly. "Don't mind h-", Lucas starts.

"She doesn't want me to be here", I tell him. "Seems like some people disapprove of my acts around the city recently."

"How do you know that?" He says, then realisation flows over his face. "Never mind, anyway don't mind her too much, she seems to get worked up easily anyway."

Lucas walks with me to the medical room and I meet Emily. She laughs at me, not surprised at me being here once again. After she heals my ribs she, checks my burn. She gives it one more shot at healing fully and leaves it without a bandage. "That's as good as I can get it, sorry I'm not an expert yet", she laughs. I look down at the patch of light skin and then smile at her.

"It's fine, I don't mind", I tell her. Lucas and I make our way out of the room and he grabs my arm once we're outside.

"Are you sure you don't mind?" He asks me, "you're going to have a scar now."

"Lucas it's fine", I laugh at him, I've never seen him concerned like this before. "Who was that girl anyway?"

"Oh her?" He starts, "just a new person, we found her not that long ago."

"Seems like a lot of people disapprove of me", I tell him and frown.

"Some of us approve", he says and smiles kindly at me. I stop walking as he says that. He turns around and looks at me. "Why did you stop?"

"Would you ever be interested in helping me if I ever fight someone with powers?" I ask him, "out in the city I mean."

He looks at me for a moment lost in thought. "I'm not sure, I don't want to hurt anyone."

"You'd only be stopping someone from hurting even more people", I tell him to make it seem better.

He looks at me once more and I smile as he answers. "Maybe."