Chapter 40 - Adrenaline

"Do one thing that scares you everyday."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

 I wait impatiently and it feels like forever before his hood is off

I wait impatiently and it feels like forever before his hood is off. In place on his face is a black mask and I groan in annoyance. His two hands go to either side of the mask and start peeling it off his face.

I gasp as I see his smiling face. The face that I hate with a passion. His ugly mouth grins at me and I feel myself smile in Asher's body. His half bald head adds to his hideous looks, and I cringe at the look of accomplishment he has on.

I take my hand off Asher's head as I get out of the memory and land a punch to his jaw. "It was him?!" I yell and punch him again. "That psycho is your leader?!"

Lucas tries to hold me back as my anger comes flowing out. "Out of all people I can't believe you would follow such a nasty creep!" I shout and struggle out of Lucas' grip.

"Who was it?" Lucas asks, curious because of my reaction.

"Their leader is Mr Popwell", I say in outrage and I see Asher go rigid when I say this. "He's been under our noses the whole time."

I let out an exhale. The person we've been trying to catch is the very man making sick jokes in class and giving people detention for no reason. Disguised as a teacher. I should've looked into him sooner. But how could I have known that my very own English teacher is the person who murdered my father, kidnapped my best friend, and killed my friend in front of me.

In anger I charge at Asher and wrap my hands around his head. I use all of my power to search through his mind, finding all the times they've met. I shuffle through the memories of him and Mr Popwell.

Them ordering the bad supers on where to rob and terrorize. Him helping plan sending a spy into The Super Secretive. Them meeting secretly in between classes as Asher reports on what me and Lucas are doing during the day. Asher observing us secretly during lunchtimes. Mr Popwell giving Asher good grades even if he didn't do well.

More memories flow past like a slideshow. Asher showing Mr Popwell the messages with Heather, his manipulation of her. Them meeting up with Heather unconscious right before going into the tower. Them talking after killing Aiden, laughing and happy that they killed someone that was close to us.

I feel Asher flinching underneath me, probably getting a headache by now. Lucas carefully peels my hands off Asher's head and holds them tight. "That's enough for now", he says, obviously seeing the effect on Asher. "As much as we both want him to pay, we have to catch Mr Popwell first."

I realise that I'm crying and take my hands out of Lucas' to wipe my face. I compose myself, shooting Asher a glare before walking out of the room. Lucas follows close behind me and we leave Sasha to deal with Asher before we do something we'll regret.

Later in the day we attend a meeting with all the other leaders of The Super Secretive to discus our plans. We don't know if Mr Popwell knows that we know or not. He might've already figured out that we do as we now have Asher. If he doesn't that would be better.