Chapter 21 - Reliving Memories

I wake up, finding myself in the same room as when I was first brought to the Super Secretive

I wake up, finding myself in the same room as when I was first brought to the Super Secretive. The familiar room calms me. I hear breathing and slowly look around the room, noticing a figure sitting at the desk. Lucas is sleeping, his head resting on the desk, his face relaxed and his mouth slightly open. I giggle and sit up, my arms shaking in the process. I feel like I haven't eaten in days, I'm that weak.

Slowly I manoeuvre myself up into a standing position and make my way to the door quietly, as to not wake Lucas up. I slip through the doorway and sigh as I pull it shut with a click. My stomach growls and I make my way to the cafeteria, looking and acting like a zombie hungry for brains. I could eat anything I'm so hungry. As I get closer, I smell soup, it must be lunchtime and let me tell you this, I love soup with a passion. I fly towards the serving station, literally. Flying is much easier than walking or running when you're this weak.

My stomach growls with desperation as I eye up the pot of pumpkin soup. My hands instinctively reach for a bowl and pour some in. I grab a spoon and hurriedly make my way to a table. I plonk myself down and take a sip, savouring the flavour. I try to eat slowly but end up shoving the soup down my throat like I'm a Hoover.

As I'm taking another sip I think back to yesterday's events, at least I think it was yesterday, it feels like I've been sleeping forever. I've never felt like that since my dad died, and that was really bad. I wouldn't come out of my room for weeks on end. He must've had multiple Powers. I list them in my mind; illusion, some kind of way to block my powers, and emotion manipulating. I put Mr black mist tiger dude on my invisible enemy list and go back to eating.

"Oh good, you're up", I hear someone say, and look up to see Sasha. "I was afraid you'd never wake up, where's Lucas?"

"I left him sleeping in the room", I tell her. I then ask, "how long was I out?"

"Just over night", she tells me. "The fight was yesterday."

"Oh ok, Thank you", I tell her. I look down at my food and frown. I fiddle with the spoon, twisting it around in the soup. Just as I am about to say something to Sasha again some girls come up to me.

"I heard what you did yesterday, that was so cool", one of them says, her voice laced with awe.

I smile at her, "it's not a big deal." I tell her.

"I think it's really cool what you're doing", another girl says. "I mean when so many bad guys are out there, more nowadays with powers than there ever was. The police can't catch people like that so Thank you."

Sasha puts her hand on my shoulder and smiles at me. I wave as the girls walk away and turn to Sasha. "See, there are people who appreciate your bravery", she tells me. "Not everyone is against you."

She pats my shoulder and walks off. I look down at my soup and smile, never have I ever felt this type of appreciation before. My worry is forgotten, and I make my way back to the room to wake up Lucas.

I hear mumbling and carefully open the door, looking around with wariness. When I see that there's no one else in the room I close the door and tiptoe over to Lucas. My face floods with concern as I scan his face; ruffled hair, a small puddle of tears on the table and his eyebrows knitted together. I kneel in front of him and place my hand on the side of his head. I close my eyes and concentrate, finally being able to see what's on his mind in the moment of vulnerability.

I gasp as I find myself in another room, how did I get here? I feel tears on my face, ones I never felt come out of my eyes. I watch as my body moves by itself, except it's not mine, but a young boy's. Sparks flicker at my fingertips and up my arms. I feel terror ripple through my body, the boy's body, and sob. The door to the room I'm in opens, and two people walk through the door. I don't recognise them, but the boy does and I sob once again.

The look at me with concern written clearly on their faces, dropping the shopping bags in their hands. They rush over to me and flinch as they touch me. "What's wrong with me?" I ask.

I notice they are scared and speak, my voice saying words without me knowing. "You guys are scared? I'm your own son!" I look at them and they hesitate to reach out to me.

"It's alright Lucas, we'll find you some help, it's going to be ok", the lady says to me with reassurance.

"No, it's not you don't get it!" I yell. "I'm not ok!"

"It'll be fine, you're going to be ok", the man says now, reaching out.

"Not it's NOT" I yell and scream, the sound monstrous and inhuman. Power surges through me and out my hands. It flows out of me and I sit on the ground with a sigh. I look up to see the couple lying on the ground, unconscious and parts of their body burnt. I scream and rush over to them. "Mum! Dad!"

"Mum!"

"Dad!"

Slowly the room fades back to the room with sleeping Lucas and I fall to the ground. I look down at my shaking hands and clench them into fists, wondering what just happened. I hear Lucas breath in as he wakes up. "Kaylee?" He asks and rushes to kneel next to me, "What happened? Why are you crying?"

I look at him, realising that I had just relived one of his memories. I look at him, my mouth opening and closing, lost for words. I grab his face and look into his eyes. His barrier is back up. "Are you ok?" I ask him, my voice small. He looks at me with confusion and reaches up to wipe my tears. I start crying again, tears of pain for what he experienced. I didn't know my powers could actually put me into someone's memories, it felt so real. I can't even imagine what it would be like if they were my parents.

"Kaylee, what's wrong?" He asks again. "Why are you asking me if I'm ok?" His memory makes me want to be strong for him, I want to be someone he can go to for help too. I wipe my tears and stand up, pulling Lucas up with me.

"You know I'm always here for you right?" I ask him. He looks at me for a second and nods. "You're so strong", I tell him and squeeze his hand.