Chapter 36 - Track

"They say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time."
-Banksy

Just as I am about to try to hit him again all of the people dressed in black run to the edge of the room in unison

Just as I am about to try to hit him again all of the people dressed in black run to the edge of the room in unison. The glass wall shatters and they step out on the balcony. Standing between them and us is the cloaked man, his grip tight on Aiden. I glare at him go to step towards him but he brings a knife up to Aiden's neck.

"I told you this night won't end without someone dying", he says with a grin. He quickly slices through Aiden's neck and throws him to the ground. Lucas runs to Aiden's side and holds his hand over the cut. The man and his followers fly away, everybody too distracted to go after them.

I hurtle over to Lucas and Aiden with tears in my eyes. I watch as blood oozes through Lucas' fingers, tears drip down his face, raining on Aiden. I collapse onto the ground and put my hand over my mouth in shock. Sasha arrives on the other side of Aiden and looks him up and down. "Call Emily to come!" she says. "NOW!"

One of the other supers flies off the balcony to get Emily. Lucas puts pressure on the cut but looks away. "I'm so sorry", he says and looks at Aiden's face. "I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have brought you to The Super Secretive." Aiden looks up at Lucas and smiles.

I hold Aiden's hand and my face scrunches up in pain as I see the amount of blood there is. I now have waterfalls on my face. I clutch onto Aiden's hand like I can somehow transfer some of my energy into him. I know it doesn't work like that, but at this point I'm willing to believe anything can happen.

I look at his face and I see his lips moving, trying to say something. "Aiden, what are you trying to say?" I think so that he knows he can talk to me this way.

"Look after Lucas when I'm gone" he thinks to me.

"No, don't say that", I think. "Emily is coming, we'll save you."

"Kaylee", he thinks and looks at me with sad eyes. "Lo... look at me, you know its not gonna happen."

I don't say anything more and just wait for Emily. I watch as Aiden falls in and out of consciousness. When Emily finally gets to the room she takes one look at him and has a look on her face that says it all. He's not going to make it.

^^^

I stand with Lucas and his Uncle as they welcome people to the funeral service. I take side-ways glances at Lucas as he greets people with a fake smile. When everyone is seated we make our way to the front row of seats and I slip my hand into his when we sit.

As the funeral goes on I think about how it looks to Aiden's Dad and everyone else. Only people at The Super Secretive know what really happened. To everyone else it was suicide, Aiden was secretly depressed and didn't want to go on with his life any longer. Once he stops showing up around the city with Lucas and I to stop crime people will wonder what happened to him. All we can do is carry on.

I look briefly behind me at the basketball team, their faces still in shock from when they heard the news. I feel Lucas squeeze my hand as the photo slideshow comes up. I can feel the anger radiating off him, he wants to catch that guy so badly.

After the funeral we don't stick around for small talk. We get changed and make our way to The Super Secretive. As soon as we get there we make our way to the computer room. As we walk through the door they have the cloak man's voice running through a system that analyses it to try to match it with someone in the system. I watch they waves of his voice and clench my fists in anger.

"Have you tried tracking the phone he used to message us?" I ask the team.

"It was a burner phone, the phone number doesn't exist anymore", someone says from the corner.

"What about using security cameras to track where they went?" Lucas suggests.

"We tried that, they didn't fly the whole way", a woman says. "They must know where they are though, they managed to avoid them after a while so we have no idea which way they went."

Lucas brushes his hand through his hair in frustration and sways from side to side. "Is there anyone with a power that can track things or something like that?" I ask, running out of ideas.

Everyone looks around for a moment before a man speaks up. "I'll have a look through the database of supers we have and get back to you", he says and begins typing on his computer. I focus and listen to the minds around the room as they do their work, searching for anything they've found but dismissed as not useful.

When I find nothing I try to make my mind think of something we can to track whoever those people are. They do so much bad but we've never found out their base or the identity of the man in the cloak. "There must be something we're missing", I mumble to myself. "They can't just get away with this."

"Where was Heather when she got kidnapped?" I ask the room as I think.

"That's the thing", the woman from before says. "It wasn't during school and she wasn't at home so we don't actually know where she got taken from."

"I'll give her a visit then", I say and walk out of the room, leaving Lucas behind to help them look for clues.

Soon I'm at Heather's house knocking on her door. Heather opens the door cautiously but soon opens it wide when she sees that it's me. I pull her into a hug and rub her back. "I heard what happened, sorry I haven't been able to talk", I apologise to her. "It's been so hectic with Aiden, I'm so glad you're okay."

She starts crying quietly in my shoulder, but soon shes sobbing. "Let's go to my room", she says and wipes her face. She takes my hand and pulls me to her room. We sit on her bed and I grab her hands. "Are you okay?" I ask and pout. "When I found out you had been kidnapped I got so worried."

"I think I'm okay", she says with a smile. "They didn't do anything bad to me, I'm just glad Golden Ghost and Golden Bolt could save me."

I tear up as I think about how they threatened to kill her. "Aiden...", she says. "He's gone though..." She starts crying. "Why is this happening to us?"

I start crying and she pulls me into a hug. "I know you were close with him", she says and cries as well. "Can I tell you something though?" She then asks.

"Sure", I tell her and break the hug. "What's up?"

"That day..." She begins and furrows her eyebrows in thought. "I got out and a super in a blue suit escorted me out when I got to the elevator. When I was waiting for the police to come I saw that something happened when I looked at the top floor." She says.

She soon starts talking again. "I was looking from the ground so I was hard to see but it looked as if something happened to that super in the blue suit, and it looked bad. Kaylee, what if Aiden was a super?" She asks.

"What if he didn't commit suicide, but he was killed by the man that kidnapped me?"