Chapter 22 - Crime will be the law.

"The chief problem in any community cursed with crime is not the punishment of the criminals, but the preventing of the young from being trained to crime."

-W. E. B. Du Bois

The days go by one by one and Lucas and I start getting known as Golden Ghost and Golden Bolt

The days go by one by one and Lucas and I start getting known as Golden Ghost and Golden Bolt. Our names are soon on the front of every newspaper, highlighting the times we stopped criminals and, more often now, bad supers. It became routine, going out after school and scouting the streets. The Super Secretive provide us with upgrades to our costumes and soon we look like real heroes, our costumes black versions of Captain America, but with a gold symbol respectively on each of our fronts, a hood and gold accents.

The wind blows against my face, filling my hood with air and nearly blowing it off my head. I walk to the edge of the building and sit down with my legs dangling off. I sigh and look down at the city below me. My walkie talkie crackles and a moment later I hear Lucas' voice calling out. "Kaylee, we have a code 5 at the north mall, there are hostages and I repeat, code 5." When we call each other after finding something and need assistance we rank it by codes, code 1 being the lowest and code 5 the highest. This must be a powerful super. I launch myself off the building and freefall for a few seconds before catching myself and flying off towards the north mall.

I quietly land in front of the entrance, the police lower their weapons once they know it's me. I walk in and the first thing I notice is groups of people tied up together, the rope glows green and their mouths are covered with green duct tape. Right in the middle of the entrance way is the super. He wears all green, a costume seeming to be thrown together from random pieces of fabric. He has a mask on, merging his face into a blob, with eyeholes so I can see his glowing green eyes.

Lucas is in front of him, his fingers wrapped with electricity. I look at the man and try to notice things that show what his powers are. When that doesn't work, I read his mind, it's easy, he mustn't have come across any supers with mental powers before. I've become accustomed to not only hearing people's thoughts but looking into their mind for extra information or memories.

He can make objects from nothing with his powers, but the objects disappear once he has finished using them or is unconscious. So that's why the rope is green, if I were to knock him out right now, they would disappear. He can also fly, I note in my head, as I see his feet a few centimetres above the floor. As he sees me, he smiles and says, "Wow both in one go, this is fun."

I wait and watch patiently, hoping he will make the first move as I read his mind and find out he's best at defence. I signal for Lucas to wait and he does so. When we do nothing, the man becomes impatient and makes a large green glowing sword out of nowhere. He runs towards me, the sword up in the air ready to strike.

I'm ready for it and grab the sword with my telekinesis, catching it and watching as it disappears and a gun forms in the man's empty hand. He shoots quickly and I dodge the first few bullets before making a barrier and freezing the bullets mid-air. I glance behind him at Lucas, he's watching, prepared to help if I need it.

The gun disappears and so do the bullets. I wait as the man doesn't seem to be doing anything. Just then I hear a roar. In through the door comes a green lion. You got to be kidding me, what's up with bad guys and large cats? I watch as the lion comes closer. Before it gets too close a bolt of electricity strikes it and it collapses. The man turns around, just remembering Lucas and flings his hand out. Hundreds of bees fly out and rush at Lucas.

He tries to zap them with his electricity but they're too fast and there's too many of them. I fling my hand out and make a barrier around Lucas, pausing any bees near him in mid-air. The bees disappear and before the Mr Greenie can come up with another trick, I make a bubble around him, pausing him just when he is about to fly into the air.

I launch myself at him and let go of him right before I hit him, pushing him to the ground. With me on top of him I punch him in the face. His hands are above his head and he forms a knife in his hand. I knock it out with my hand and while I'm reached out, he tries to push me off him.

Just in time I grab him with my telekinesis, and he stops, his hands frozen on my stomach. "We will catch you and destroy you." He says, trying, but failing, to spit at me, "All of you. You are no match for us. Our leader will make sure all of you are gone and we will be free to take over."

I look at him with confusion, "Who is 'we'?" I ask him.

He laughs loudly, evil and cruel, "The supers that are free, the ones that don't follow rules." He says, "We will take over and create a better place, normal people will be slaves to the supers, and crime will be the law, we're coming to get you. Just you wait."

He looks at me with an evil smile and I punch him harshly. There is an organisation out there trying to bring chaos to the world and we need to stop them. I think my job is done but Lucas yells out my name. I watch the scene in slow motion as Lucas reaches out, sparks streaming out of his hand and through the air. I feel a stab of pain in my stomach and watch as the sparks wind their way to the man and zap him. He shakes, the electricity too much for a normal person.

I look down slowly just in time to see a green knife disappear from the man's hand on my stomach. I look from my stomach back to the unconscious man with a shocked expression on my face. I cough and roll myself off the man, black blurring the edges of my vision. Lucas appears next to me and I feel him place his hand on my stomach.

The world is quiet apart from a loud ringing that echoes through my head. I look at Lucas' panicked face, tears falling down slowly. I reach my hand up and touch his face. I look at him with concern and try to wipe his tears away, but my arm becomes weak and falls back to the ground. I see Lucas yelling, but hear nothing. Is this what it feels like to die?

I let out a breath and the world goes black.