S e v e n t e e n

I'm trying but I keep falling down

I cry out but nothing comes now

I'm giving my all and I know peace will come

I never wanted to need someone

Chapter Seventeen:

"Draco, she needs you to be strong for her!"

It was the thirtieth of May when Hermione woke him a little before dawn. She could barely get the words out as she tried to express the excruciating pain she was in.

"Great, but how will Draco manage? I mean who would take a three-month pregnant woman with someone else's baby? Draco is known to be bored easily, do you think he'll be around in July when you're in that delivery room?"

He heard her. He heard what Jessica said to her that day many months ago. That's the only thought that crossed his mind when they told him they might have to deliver the babies right there and then.

"Her body is collapsing. If we don't perform surgery right now, you might lose her and the babies. We need your decision now."

Who would date a three-month pregnant woman with someone else's baby?

Draco, that's who. He would marry Hermione had she been pregnant or with six children. He was ready to love her when she forgot what it was like.

"I'm sorry Mr. Malfoy, but this is not a normal delivery room. You're not allowed in the OR."

"You have to be fucking kidding me, she can't be alone in there on her own. What if she wakes up and realizes I'm not there? What if- What if I wasn't there if something went wrong? How am I supposed to live with myself?"

At this point Blaise had hugged him from behind. Blake's face was wet from all the tears. Draco had called him like a lunatic the minute they told him that Hermione was no longer conscious . Blaise after that went to fetch the Weasleys and the Potters.

It had seemed like a good idea at first, but then Draco realized he'd been left alone.

No one was here yet.

He never wanted to need someone yet there he was. He needed Hermione. He needed to see her. Needed to see she was okay. He felt frustrated for not crying.

He wanted to cry, scream, break something, hug her, die.

He wanted to feel anything but the feeling that was eating him up piece by piece. He felt afraid.

She'd taught him how to overcome that fear and he couldn't help but feel that he'd disappointed her somehow. He was terrified.

He wanted time to stop.

This was not supposed to happen. She should've been in that delivery room months later. Everything was perfect. Their wedding planner had called him earlier that day. They were supposed to meet up that day and start planning their big day.

Draco heard the door squeak behind him. He felt so relieved that someone was finally there to share his fear with him. That's when he slowly collapsed on the wall and let his first sob of the night.

What he didn't expect however was that Ronald Weasley was going to be the one to share his grief. Ron didn't hesitate to crouch in front of him and hold on tight to his hands.

"Let's go mate, let's go." He slowly helped him up and lead him out of the waiting room.

Draco had no idea where he was taking him and no longer cared. Holding back all those tears all night had exhausted him.

When they ran into him once again all those months ago, he was so worried she would go back to him. Ronald had been going to therapy, dealing with his drinking problems, and finally setting his foot down in life.

He couldn't help thinking that Hermione might have made the wrong choice between the two of them.

He was the one who had a mental breakdown, not Ron. Ron was somehow able to keep his cool as Hermione was fighting death.

They eventually reached the roof. Draco tensed up at first, worried that Ron would try something. But when Ron sat down, relief washed over him.

"Scream. That's what you need. Scream."

"This is bullshit, Hermione needs me."

"If you don't do this, you will be lying in there next to her. You look like crap. Trust me you need this. Now scream!"

Draco mumbled Oh Merlin under his breath then at the top of his lungs "Fuucckkkkkk!!!"

"Yes more!"

Ron's idea was working, Draco was visibly relaxing. "This is not fucking fair! I'm supposed to be in there! She's not supposed to be in there in the first place! This is not fucking fair!"

Draco's emotions made him very unsteady. Luckily Ron noticed or else he wouldn't have caught him in time to take him as far away from the ledge as possible. Draco had started crying by then and punched Ron in the chest.

Ron breathed heavily, "Well I deserved that. Come on it's fine, let it all out. Hit me, I'm going to fight back though."

That's how they spent the next few minutes. Bleeding and screaming and crying and laughing. You name it.

As they stumbled down the stairs Draco looked over at Ron and smiled. "Fuck you, Weasel."

Ron smiled back. "Bite me, Ferret."

"I'm so glad we didn't go to court for custody."

"Yeah, me neither. Let's go, Hermione needs you."

Not washing up before going into the waiting room once again was an obvious mistake for everyone had arrived and tensed up. George had his wand out while Narcissa had grabbed Ron by his collar. Draco chuckled as he waved it off.

"We were just messing around Mum, don't worry about it."

Narcissa Malfoy smacked Draco on the back of his head, "You guys didn't need to do that, Hermione is going to be okay. She's the strongest woman I've met, it's kind of scary."

Mrs. Weasley laughed through her tears, "She would probably look death in the eye and go like 'Excuse my language, but fuck you.'"

Draco sat between them and hugged them both. Tears were filling his eyes once again but he didn't care because Ron was sobbing into Harry's neck. They were all too many in the waiting room, then her parents arrived. Blaise had apparated them there, and her mother was in pieces.

Draco stood up and opened his arms for them. They both hugged him dearly and held back tears.

"Do you have any idea what you're going to name the babies?" It was George asking.

"Hermione is going to name them. Hermione is going to name both."

They all looked at him with pity. "Weren't we just talking about how badass she is? Why on Earth are you looking at me like that? She's going to wake up, she wouldn't do that to me. I don't even know how to change a nappy yet. She's going to teach me how and all the other gazillion other things I need to learn about our babies."

Draco was getting furious about their negativity. Sure, he was scared. But he didn't think about it like it's already happened. "You literally said 'Draco, she needs you to be strong for her!' Have some faith in her-"

Suddenly the nurse appeared out of the operating room."Mr. Malfoy would you please come with us?"

The air in the room immediately disappeared.

Published: November 24th, 2018 at 12:10 am.

It would mean a lot to me if you voted. Even if you don't, thank you for reading.