25. Hawkeye.

Tonight wasn't different from any other of the 45 nights I spent locked away in my room. It was now the 16th and the wedding was set for the 21st. I was due for a spa weekend before the wedding, it was supposed to be a couple's retreat but Kwashie fucked it up. I dreaded the kiss and I dreaded the honeymoon, I wished things would just work themselves out.

I heard a loud banging against my window, in my fright and flight response I flailed my arms about and my body jolted upwards causing a whiplash effect. I fell on the floor with a loud thud, the carpeting did nothing to comfort my fall. I rubbed at my arms trying to calm my erratic heartbeat but the noise sounded around my room again causing me to scream and retreat under my bed.

That window was to the side of the house overlooking my neighbor's house. No one ever went around there so my reasons to be scared were valid. Nothing could happen to me though because my windows had grills on the inside so no one could possibly climb though.

"Zidania?" I heard my name from the window.

"God, please be a thief.." I whispered.

"Zidania!" The sound was still muffled but louder.

I knew it was Kwashie, her voice was undeniable and my dislike towards her would much prefer it to not be her. I sighed and moved from my space on the cold carpet to walk over to the window. I pushed my hands between the bars to unlock the latch and slide the window up.

"Kwashie?" I asked confused.

She stood on a ladder holding onto the grills to keep herself stable. How did she get into our locked shed for the ladder? How did she get around to this side of the house?

"I know you have so many questions but I need to talk to you." She said.

"Richard wouldn't allow me to come in after what happened earlier, why didn't you say something to me?" She asked.

I stayed quiet, I didn't know what to say.

"Zidania, please say something." She begged.

"Go away," I hissed.

"You're breaking my heart." She said.

"Join the broken hearts club, son." My tone was bitter.

"Please, listen to me. Can I come inside?"

"No, go home. I'll see you at the wedding. I'm dreading the day already." I lifted my hand to slide the window down but she grabbed me. The familiar heat under my skin shook me making me pull my hands away.

"I love you, please hear me out." I could hear the thickness of her voice.

"Meet me at the front door," I sighed. I always succumbed to peer pressure.

I watched her climb down into the darkness below and heard her footsteps hitting against the concrete in an attempt to rush back towards the front of the house. Unsurprisingly, my room was clean. Earlier when I cried myself to sleep Sharon snuck in and cleaned, obviously in stealth mode because I didn't hear anything. I closed the window locking the latch and left to go downstairs.

Out here was warm compared to the depressing temperature of my room. My bare feet sounded on the tiles with every step I took, I peeked around the corner before I went, I let out a loud sigh before walking through the foyer and up to the double doors. I opened it and there was Kwashie in sweatpants and a white round neck T-shirt. I stepped aside allowing her to come in. I locked the locks on the door and walked off allowing her to follow me upstairs to my room.

"It's so cold in here," she said.

I didn't answer, I just flipped the switch allowing light to take the place of the darkness. I sat on my bed while she stood at the door, I stared at the door behind her willing the awkwardness away in my mind. I didn't want to fidget and I didn't want to look nervous, I couldn't allow her to see the effect she has on me.