38. The honeymoon before Christmas.

The drive to the cottage was silent save for my music selection and constant bellowing of notes to the country breeze, slightly bad roads and forestry blocking out the sun on either side. Kwashie sung along sometimes but our conversation was minimal, we stopped to get food on the way because I was always hungry and I blamed it on my years of starving myself to be perfect in my mother's eyes.

"We're here." Kwashie parked in front of the board cottage.

"I have eyes, my guy." I rolled them and got out leaving her to bring in the luggage.

The owner advised us that the key would be in an envelope with a small note. I opened the wooden door and stepped foot into the cottage looking at the freshly polished maple wood floors and furniture. I squealed in excitement as I ran to the large floor to ceiling windows passing under a chandelier that hung low. I looked out at the forest below us and I quieted my excitement and heart to listen for the river that was promised and as if speaking to my calm soul, the sound of shallow water rushing over rocks entered my ears and I let out a sigh of contentment. At least all was still right with nature.

"What are we listening for?" Kwashie dropped the bags breaking my reverence.

"I was listening for the river. Do you remember when we made our house plans? Saying we'd get somewhere far from the hustle and bustle of the city?" I asked her continuing the guilt trip I started since we left the hotel and got into her Lexus.

"I would still love that but maybe not so far out." She came up to stand behind me but I stepped aside so she could be at my side. I heard her sigh.

"When will you stop this?" She asked sounding a bit hurt.

"What ever do you mean?" I dryly said before walking off and exploring the rest of the cottage.

The living room I had left, sported a wide flat screen TV and I knew I'd be spending a lot of time there since there was no tv in the room. The room itself was beautiful and huge with a four post California King Bed sitting in the middle with fresh linens as we were advised prior. The wooden floors ran through the whole house and continued into the bathroom where a walk in glass shower and jacuzzi welcomed me with their bright white surfaces. I smiled at the fixtures and was happy I packed my ziplock bags of herbal leaves, essential oils and epsom salt for my soaks that I always did in Richard's bathroom since he was the only one with a tub.

I hummed to myself as I walked back out and went to the kitchen that should be fully stocked. I went to the fridge and there was a note that made us aware of their green and zero waste policy so there was a Brita water jug instead of individual plastic bottles and I was okay with that, I might even take this lifestyle back home. Kwashie wasn't inside when I finished looking through the kitchen and cabinets thinking about what to cook for dinner. I found her on the porch sitting on the board railing and I expected her to be on her phone so that I could find some reason to be upset but she wasn't, her back slumped from the lack of support and she swung her legs out.

"That's a long way to go." I looked below us to see a declining hill.

"The river is down there, it's a good way to go." She looked over at me with a tender smile.

"We should go down there." I returned her smile.

"And tell me, my love, what shall we do down there?" Her eyes gleamed with mischief and my once dead spirit struck a match threatening to relight my outed candle.

"Marvel at nature. Fatima gave me one of her cameras and told me to take pictures and if it goes well, I might get into nature photography." I shook my shoulders and earned a low chuckle from her.