14

Its snowing. 

Its been a long time since I've seen snow - it feels like lifetimes away - back when mother was still alive...

"What are you doing out here?" 

Ridge stands above me, looking down with his brows furrowed. He's wearing a black hoodie that says Adidas, though I don't know what that means. His dark blue jeans hug him well and I force myself to look away. 

"Thinking." 

His feet are bare. No socks, no shoes. Weres don't get cold easily. I shiver. 

"Are you cold?" 

I look at him, studying the golden flecks in his eyes. "Why does it bother you so much that you killed that - that... monster?" 

Ridge's Adams apple bobs as he swallows thickly. "Because I took someone's life, Halcyon." 

I cock my head at him. "The Takers did it all the time back where you found me. It didn't bother them any-" 

"Because they're unfeeling monsters. They - they don't give a damn! It's sick, Halcyon. They - they're all sick!" Ridge snarls and I flinch. 

"But... but the man you killed - he - he hurt me. Why should it matter if he dies?" I wrap my arms around myself, tears blurring my vision. I squeeze my eyes shut tight. 

Someone's arms wrap around me and I find myself leaning onto Ridge's chest. "Because a life, even if they're a horrible monster, is still a life. No one should play God and decide who lives and who dies. It's - it's wrong." 

I shake my head. "He hurt me." My voice breaks. 

"I know," Ridge whispers, "and I killed him. For you. He can't hurt you anymore." 

"I wont hurt you. Too bad, anyways. Haha!" 

I slam my hands around my ears. "No, no! He hurt me. He fucked me. I kept saying stop but he didn't listen - he raped me!" I turned in Ridge's lap to face him. "He raped me and you feel sorry that you killed him!" 

"Halcyon-" 

"No!" I growled, jumping up out of his grasp. "I can't believe you feel sorry for him!" Wetness streamed down my cheeks and I shook my head so violently it felt like it might come off. Ridge stands up and reaches for me but I jump back. "Don't - don't touch me!" 

Ridge opens his mouth, hurt written on his face, but I run into the house before he can say anything.