TWO

Chapter 2

Doris didn't care that she didn't know Gemima much. She didn't care that her brain was telling her to run and run. She didn't care that a part of her still refused to believe that there was a real, live faerie in her living room. Oh and the faerie was actually her aunt, the same aunt she hadn't even remembered existed till a few minutes ago. All she cared about was her father.

It's strange how you think you dislike a family member and then suddenly something happens to them and you realise how much they mean to you. True, Alexander was a controlling, over-protective, pushy parent but he was after all Doris' father. Gemima was family too and right now Doris could do with some filial support.

"Give me some proof you are a faerie and not some wackjob," she asked, trying to sound as if she had the situation under control. In reality, she needed proof to make herself believe that faeries did exist.

Adam sidled beside her and whispered, "Are you mad? You saw how her eyes blazed red, right? She can be dangerous. I suggest we run at the first opportunity."

Doris kept her eyes on Gemima but whispered back, "You run if you want. I'm going to find Dad."

"The police can find him," Adam tried to convince Doris.

Doris made a face, "Even you don't believe that."

"If you two have had your little chat, we've got to go," Gemima pointed towards the door.

Before anyone could say anything the T.V. switched on by itself. Guess who was on T.V.? Laurine, the evil receptionist who somehow vanished into thin air, smiled in the same way as most news presenters do.

The crown on her head and the ghastly overdone makeup made her look larger than life. She started talking in a mechanical way, "Miss. Doris McQueen, you have been found guilty of crimes relating to Articles Alpha8, Epsilon19 and Gamma41. As you have ignored all our previous warnings about fulfilment of Deal DM6GMxxx," here she showed an old-looking paper containing a few lines of untidy scrawl, "we have taken into custody Mr. Alexander McQueen-your immediate family-as per the rules."

Here a video of a dazed and scared-looking Alexander was shown. He was screaming something but the audio wasn't provided. "You are requested to turn in by twenty-four hours for execution or your father will face your punishment i. e. execution by removal of heart. We thank you for your cooperation and assistance. Court Officer, Queen Laurine."

Doris sat down. This was just too much to take in. Execution? And deals? She had no idea what was happening. Her neat, ordered life was suddenly an unexplainable and confusing mess.

Adam looked more and more incredulous by the second, "What is all of this? You're a criminal?"

The LED screen lit up again. Laurine was still smiling through the screen, "Master Adam Walker, you have been found guilty of helping a criminal, Miss. Doris McQueen, escape from the hands of the Court. Your family-" A video of three people was shown. One of them was a small girl who was crying as her parents tried to shout something at the camera. Adam watched in shock as Laurine continued, "-is being held captive till you turn yourself in. You have twenty-four hours to turn yourself in before they suffer your punishment i. e. execution by removal of heart. We thank you for your cooperation and assistance. Court Officer, Queen Laurine."

The screen blacked out and Adam shouted, "No! Wait. You let them go. They're innocent." Nothing happened as Adam pounded the screen, "Listen to me, I am not a criminal. At least let Penelope go. She's just a kid." The screen remained silent.

"Nothing will be obtained by shouting at the television," said Gemima coolly.

Adam turned around, "You! You are a faerie. You can help. Just tell me where this court is. I will go and convince them myself."