ELEVEN

Chapter 11

Adam stopped struggling, "A friend?"

Jasper got up and scowled, "And you must be the dim-witted human."

"He's hypnotised you, Doris," Adam said, not taking his eyes of the faerie. "He wants the shoes and then he'll kill us."

"I won't explain myself to a lowly, uncivilised human like you," Jasper spat, angrily.

"Sit down, sit down. Have some crepes."

Doris nudged Adam, telling him to sit down. Adam made a face before sitting down. The old man handed him crepes (they looked like pancakes). Adam didn't touch the food and looked at Doris for some explanation.

"I was sitting where you left me when Jasper here landed next to me," Doris began.

"No doubt to rip your heart out for daily dose of nutrition," Adam muttered.

Jasper slammed his fist on the table, "If this human is going to sit here and pass comments about me then I prefer to stand outside or else I might commit some unforgivable deed."

"I would prefer you to stay outside," Adam sneered.

Doris looked at both of them angrily, "Shut up, both of you, and let me finish." She waited for some retort and then continued, "Adam, Tinley unfroze Wahl, the guy who was chasing us, and they were coming after us. Thankfully, Jasper found me first and carried me to Uncle Pierre, here." The old baker smiled at Adam.

"Jasper belongs to a minority group of the faerie court who want peaceful relations with humans."

Jasper tilted his head in affirmation and pointed to his ear where a small earing bearing the sign of heart with wings could be seen. "I belong to the Hart Squad."

Adam hmm-ed and finally calmed down enough to eat his crepes. He said between mouthfuls, "Okay. Can I have my sword back?"

Doris looked at him suspiciously and whispered, "Don't hurt him!"

Adam caught the key chain deftly and nodded.

"As if he could hurt me," Jasper glared.

After a few more disagreements and verbal barbs, it was decided that Jasper would go back to Wahl and lead him on a false trail while Doris and Adam would buy a gown.

Jasper stood up and held Doris' hand. "Good luck," he smiled and kissed her hand.

Doris blushed and mumbled, "Yeah, you too."

Ignoring Adam, Jasper saluted towards old Uncle Pierre and left on his wings.

"Show-off," Adam shouted after him.

Doris tripped over her hair and groaned. It was now really long, longer than her body and still measuring. "Can't I just cut it off now?"

"No," Adam warned. "We can't afford to."

Doris stomped her foot, "But I hate it. Its getting heavy, you know, and I feel my head is going to break off my neck and fall backwards because of the weight. I think my centre  of gravity must have changed. I'm going against the law of nature."

Adam laughed, "You should hear yourself talk sometimes. You're hilarious."

"Not funny, Adam," Doris remarked.

Adam nodded, "Okay, okay. How about this?"

Doris watched impatiently as Adam took off his backpack. He walked behind Doris and started stuffing Doris' hair inside the bag.