THREE

Chapter 3

"A door?" asked Adam looking around for anything that could resemble a door.

"It's a kind of moving structure that opens to somewhere," replied Doris in a sarcastic voice.

"I know what a door is," Adam said. "And why are you being so indifferent? I can see through your act, you know. I can see how scared and confused you are."

"I'm not a coward like you," retorted Doris feeling her face become hot. "Besides, may I know how you can 'see' what I'm feeling? Can you do magic too?" She laughed, "Oh right. You can't. So, shut it."

"I don't need magic to see your fear and confusion. Your face shows all," Adam replied.

Doris reddened, "Stop staring at my face." She hated it when people stared at her and now it looked as if Adam had been judging her by her face. That irritating idiot! Well, she would stare at him too. She looked at him. He was still staring at her! She repeated, "Stop staring at my face."

Adam cleared his throat and looked away, "I'm not staring at you."

"Yes you were," said Doris decidedly. "Now, don't look away innocently." She pulled his hand and forced him to look at her. "I swear if I catch you staring at me I will stare at you too. Only then you'll realise how bugging-"

"Will you two stop acting like five-year-olds and let me find the handle?" Gemima's irritated voice interrupted them.

Doris stopped and realised just how close Adam and her were. She tried to pull away but his face seemed so interesting, as if she had never really seen him before, that she had to stop and wonder.

Adam had grey eyes. Beautiful grey eyes. They were big and shiny, full of happiness littered with a tint of worry here and there. His brows were knit up in a frown and his cheeks had a dull flush. His lips were slightly parted and his long, irritating hair was rising and falling with the light wind. Doris' eyes wandered to his eyes again but this time she saw her reflection in them. With a start, she snapped, "Let me go, idiot."

Adam's voice was low as he said awkwardly, "You're holding me."

Doris looked at her hand. Oops! She let go as if her fingers had been burnt.

"If you two are done with the love-at-first-sight crap then let's go to the court," Gemima pointed to one of the reasonably sized boulder.

Doris ran to her not looking at Adam, "Where is the handle?"

Gemima pointed to the bottom of the rock, "See that?"

Doris peered and peered through her glasses.

Gemima pointed, "That over there."

"Where? I can't see it," Doris tried her best to see whatever it was that Gemima was seeing.

Adam pushed her away, "That strange symbol over there?"

Doris was stumped. Adam could see it and she couldn't? Her competitive spirit took over and she knelt down, trying to find the 'strange symbol'. "I still can't see anything."

Adam teased, "Four eyes and you still can't see it? Looks like I have better eyesight than you."

Before another fight could break out Gemima interrupted, "Adam, it's the Greek symbol for entry. Just press the space beneath the symbol."

Doris watched in annoyance as Adam kneeled down to push the handle of the faerie court. She hated it when Adam was one step ahead of her.

Adam grunted as he pushed. Doris smiled in satisfaction. Looks like the handle was heavy. Served him right for acting hero.