TWENTY

Chapter 20

Adam wished that Gemima would shut up for once. He kneeled beside Doris and gently shook her, "Doris? Doris, wake up. You got to eat this. Doris? Doris!"

Doris opened her heavy eyelids and could see someone beside her. Her vision was blurry but the faraway voice was surely Adam's. "A-Adam?" she asked in a barely audible whisper.

"I'm here," Adam said. He took out the medicine bottle and measured out 5ml of the vile-smeeling liquid. "Just drink this."

Doris could vaguely see something being thrust towards her. She lifted her hand which felt inhumanly heavy and groped in the air for the medicine. Adam handed it to her. "Cheers," Doris whispered before gulping it down.

Doris cried, "Yuck! What did you feed me? It's awful! I think I'm going to be si-" She got up without completing the sentence and began vomiting by the tree trunk.

"It's okay," Adam rubbed her back. "It's okay. You'll be fine." He held back her extra-long hair and mumbled some more 'its okays'.

Finally Doris stopped and wiped her mouth.

"Are you alright?" Adam enquired.

"Let me breathe, Adam," came back the reply. Judging by her voice, Doris seemed to be recovering.

"Oh my," Doris gasped. "That was the worst experience of my life. I was sure that I was about to die. But I suppose I wouldn't have died because I didn't see my whole life flashing in front of my eyes." Yes, Doris seemed fine. "I should have thought of that instead of worrying."

"She's alright," Adam smiled at Gemima who didn't look as happy as the situation demanded.

"Thank you, Adam," Doris hugged him. Adam was surprised but happy to hug her back.

"I see we are on talking terms again," Adam laughed.

Doris let him go, "I hope I haven't got vomit on you."

Adam checked his shirt, "This is my favourite shirt. You can't spoil it. Uh, I think I'm clean."

Doris smiled, "I'm sorry."

"I have a big heart so I'm forgiving you this time," Adam warned jokingly.

"Are you done with the little self-importance trip?" Doris asked, laughing. Her smile dropped when she saw her aunt looking at her.

Gemima looked away and said, "We should go."

Doris wanted to tell her exactly what she thought of her but she knew that they didn't exactly have the time to have a shouting match. Once the deal was fulfilled, Doris was not going to stay with Gemima a second more. Her trust was already lost and the only reason Doris was letting her come with them was because she didn't what else to do.

Adam, who was oblivious of the new chapter in Doris' family drama, nodded, "The Court officers are already here."

"So early?" Gemima asked.

"Yeah," Adam said, "they are just waiting for the time to be up and then they'll capture us. One of them was even debating whether it would be easier to catch us before the time is up."

"They can't do that," Gemima said. "It's against the rules. They have to have some morals."

"Faeries with no sense of right and wrong," Doris said sarcastically. "Why does that sound familiar?"

Gemima pursed her lips and started getting into the car when she was pushed back roughly.

"What the-?" Doris shouted.