NINETEEN

Chapter 19

Adam was running. It was true that he was regular soccer player and could run very well but the thing about wolves is that they tend to run faster than a school team player.

How did he reach this situation?

After leaving Doris with Gemima, he had followed the dark trail to the museum square where he was relieved to find shops. He was hesitant to approach the shops but then he saw hearts with wings engraved on most of the doors. The Hart Squad!

That made him feel better. If the faeries here were tolerable towards humans then Adam needn't be on constant alert. He passed the museum which had lots of Red Riding Hood paraphernalia. An old woman was stepping out and feeling her gaze, Adam was forced to take notice of her.

She looked kind, rather like a sweet grandmother who would bake cookies for her grandchildren. She smiled at him and Adam smiled back. Over the last few hours, Adam had not met anyone who would smile so normally. It made him feel as if he was back to his old life. Immediately he felt weird. His old life was not so very normal either. It was only when he had come to NY did he have a normal life if one could call his forced and secretive life normal.

He was only sixteen but he had already seen what most teenagers could only dream of. First he had seen the royal and comfortable life of a prince followed by the violent and confused uprooting from his home to a new country with new people. Still, he had tried to settle down, to have a normal life and now he was living around faeries and trying to relive various fairytales. Adam was forced to understand that strange, confusing and weird was his normal. Maybe that was how 'normal' worked. It was just a simple way of calling routine life and in his case routine life was always out of control.

"Are you lost?" the voice broke his train of thought and he mentally scolded himself for getting out of track.

It was the old woman. Adam's grandmother had died before he was born and he had always liked the idea of having a grandmother. They were supposed to take care of you and tell you stories in case your parents were important rulers of a country and didn't have time for you.

Adam shook his head, "No, well yes, in a way. I'm looking for pharmacy?"

"It's right behind the bakery," the woman pointed to his right.

Adam followed her finger and saw a huge shop called The Magical Bakery. Way to make it obvious.

"Thank-" but the woman was already gone.

Adam ran around the bakery and was happy to find a small shop called Merlin's Beard! The wind-chimes made a creepy noise that echoed throughout the empty-looking shop.

"Anyone there?" Adam asked, uncertainly. His echoed into a hundred whispers.

"Don't make such a racket! I'm coming!" A lot of noise followed-objects being pulled around, running feet and drawers being opened and closed. Finally a head appeared beside the counter.

"Um, I'm in a bit of a hurry," started Adam. He wanted to grab the medicine and go. Every second that was wasted filled him with more and more dread.

The head raised a bit, "So?"

Adam looked back, "So, you should help me quickly."

"You should tell me what you want," barked the small man. For he was small indeed. He was only a few inches taller than the counter and Adam towered over him.

"I want one of those medicines that make you puke," Adam said bluntly. After all these were faeries. No need to beat about the bush.

"Doctor's prescription?"