Chapter Twenty-four

A/N: WELP! I have discovered it takes a lot more effort for me to write tender, loving moments than anything else! This chapter was extremely hard for me to get through. Made my chest clench, I cried several times. Yeah... Generally a big-ass struggle for me. I guess it's because I used to be in a really abusive relationship. So...writing things like this...is hard. Because it's something I wish to experience and never have.

Anywho... I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. Just please keep in mind that Kabuto, Obito, Kurama, Naruto, and Orochimaru are all way older than their current bodies and have experienced a LOT of tragedy and pain. So they're a little different now. Maybe a lot different. I try to keep the core of their personalities though. And due to them, they'll affect others, causing them to change too. So... I hope...I haven't gone too far out of their characters. I want to keep this...as close as possible while also allowing them to grow and heal. Heh...mushy.

(Also, the artwork is not mine. I THINK the artist's watermark is on there. This is one of my favorite drawings of Orochimaru.)

ON WITH THE SHOW!!!

------

Papers shifted as Orochimaru moved some things on his desk, looking over at Naruto resting peacefully on his bed. He smiled some, resting the scroll he'd given Naruto on his desk before moving over to his bed. Tilting his head he brushed some hair out of Naruto's face, the backs of his fingers caressing over the cheek that had been so badly bruised.

"You've no idea...how special you are," Orochimaru whispered, feeling the silky blond hair between his fingers. "Without you...so much would've gone wrong. You are...very much the glue that holds this shinobi world together."

"If you get any more sentimental and mushy...I might have to slap ya, Orochi." The Snake Sannin looked up, seeing Kurama in the doorway. He swallowed and got up from the bed and moved back to his desk, sitting down.

"Oh don't be like that." Sighed Kurama, moving into the room and shutting the door behind him. "You get so uptight when anyone catches you. You were like that before he got taken too."

Orochimaru stiffened, gripping the still closed scroll. "Do not, Kurama."

Kurama sighed again, moving to sit across from the Sannin. "I have to ask...why didn't you ever try?"

Golden slitted eyes closed and Orochimaru sat back, shaking his head. "Why would he ever waste his time on someone like me?" He looked at Kurama. "I was...am...the man who took his first and only love from him, twisted him, then did nothing to help fix what I'd done later on." Orochimaru shrugged slightly. "And I'm...rather old." He gave a hollow laugh.

"Do you really think any of that would have or even now would be an issue for him?" Kurama nodded his head towards Naruto. "That kid's heart doesn't know how to hold a grudge or hate."

"Madara," Orochimaru said simply.

"Tch... You're nothing like that insane freak." Kurama scolded.

Orochimaru looked at him, lifting a brow. "Obsessed with jutsu, immortality, the destruction of Konoha... I could go on."

"All of that was brought on by grief, loss, and the lack of knowing what to do." Kurama sniffed, shrugging. "You can't blame yourself for the situations and circumstances around you."

"Kurama, I do hold some blame. I cannot put all the blame on the wars and circumstances." Orochimaru tsked, shaking his head as he opened the scroll, spreading it out. His eyes widened and his breath caught. "He finished it..."

"Of course he did. The kid is brilliant with fūinjutsu." Kurama looked over the seal. "...wait a second..." He got up, leaning over the scroll and tilting his head, turning the scroll a little. "You're..."