Chapter 5

When Newt and Tina got back from the post office, Tina vanished. The walk there had been quiet and somewhat awkward. Newt wondered what was in the letter she had posted, and who it had been to, but he didn't ask.

It was getting close to lunchtime so he and Jacob began preparing food. When they were ready, Newt went up to the girls' room and tapped on the door. Nagini opened it and he informed her it was time for lunch. Then he went back down into his basement to see if he could find Tina. She was back up on the landing she had spent most of her time on. He climbed the stairs carefully.

"Tina," he said when he reached her. She looked up.

"I was -- It's lunchtime," he mumbled. "Are you coming?"

Tina nodded and got to her feet. She followed him out of the basement and they took their seats at the table. When lunch was over, Tina vanished again and Newt retreated into what could best be described as his office in the basement. He stayed in there, working until it was time to feed the creatures.

When he emerged, he glanced up at where Tina usually sat. She was there. 

Making up his mind, he made his way over to the staircase and climbed up to her. She glanced at him as he approached her. He hesitated when he reached her, unsure if he would be welcome but she patted the ground beside her. He smiled slightly and took a seat.

"I wasn't sure if you'd want me here," Newt admitted after a moment. "You vanished so quickly I wasn't sure if you'd want company."

"I'm glad you came," Tina said. "Your company is always welcome."

Newt felt his ears go pink and he avoided looking at her. They sat in silence for several minutes but Newt wasn't sure if it was awkward or not.

"Why did you come up here again?" Newt asked.

Tina shrugged. "I like it up here. It's quiet and isolated."

"So you did want to be alone?" he challenged.

"Not really. See, you're up here and I'm glad you are." She paused. "I said I was glad you were here."

"You did."

"Why did you come up here?" Tina asked.

"You looked lonely and I didn't want you sinking back into your depressing thoughts. I thought you might like to help me feed my creatures," he offered, looking at her through his hair.

She smiled. "Sure, I'd like to help."

"That's good," Newt said. " . . . to hear," he finished awkwardly.

They got up and made their way down to the rest of the basement. Newt showed her what food each creature ate and how much they ate. They went from enclosure to enclosure and he showed her how to give each creature its food. She was hesitant at first and he covered her hand with his to steady it. The feeling of her smooth skin beneath his hand sent shivers down his spine. She quickly gained confidence and was soon able to feed the creatures with minimal instruction.

"Thank you for helping me," Newt murmured when they finished.

"Thank you for letting me help," Tina replied.

Newt glanced up at her. He wanted to pull her into a hug but he knew he couldn't. Looking away he blushed slightly.

"My pleasure."

He watched through his hair as Tina went back up to 'her' landing. He heard someone approaching from behind. Turning, he saw Bunty coming towards him.

"You let Miss Goldstein feed your creatures," she said, a slightly accusatory tone to her voice.

"She needs something to do and she's helped me before," Newt said shrugging.

"You've even let her near the Zouwu," Bunty pointed out. "You haven't let me near the Zouwu yet."

"Tina was there when I rescued the Zouwu and she helped me get her back in the case once."

Bunty frowned. "Then why can't I see it yet?"

"Because she doesn't know you and she's still nervous."

After supper, Newt and Jacob were left in the kitchen to clean up.

"How have you been, Jacob?" Newt asked as he dried the dishes Jacob had washed.

The man sighed slightly. "I've been alright. It's been hard without Queenie. I had gotten used to having her around."

"At least you admit it," Newt said. "Tina sits up in my basement by herself brooding and pushes me away if I try to talk about it. She's opened up a little but she still won't really talk about it."

Jacob shrugged. "Queenie says she doesn't like talking about her feelings, especially when she's upset. She doesn't like being seen as weak."

"I know," Newt said. "She wants to be able to handle things herself. She's afraid of seeing herself as weak and she considers crying or expressing her feelings as weak. It's not healthy." He sighed.

Jacob echoed his sigh. "I really miss Queenie," he said.

"I'm sorry. I know I can't understand how you're feeling but I really am sorry."

Jacob set down the dish he had been washing and stared intently at Newt. Newt shifted self-consciously in his gaze.

"Newt, how would you feel if Tina had joined Grindelwald?"

"Wha-- What?" Newt stammered. "I -- I don't know."

"Just think about it," Jacob insisted. "How would you feel?"

Newt hesitated. How would I feel? He tried to imagine what life would be like if Tina had followed Grindelwald. He didn't know where to start so he tried to picture her stepping through the blue flames that had surrounded Grindelwald. The image was horrible. He shuddered slightly.

"I suppose it would be awful," Newt murmured. 

"Now imagine she had joined him for your sake," Jacob said.

Newt tried to but this thought was worse than the last. He was mentally unable to imagine Tina joining Grindelwald just so they could be together. He shook his head, tears threatening to form in his eyes.

"I -- I don't want -- I can't," he managed.

"You'd be devastated," Jacob said simply.

"No, I wouldn't --" Newt protested but he stopped the moment he saw Jacob's unconvinced face. "I -- I suppose I would be devastated," he murmured.

"Now you understand how I feel," Jacob said.

That night, Newt lay in his bed. He kept tossing and turning, unable to sleep. The image he had created of Tina walking towards Grindelwald and passing through the blue flames had lodged itself in his mind and he couldn't get rid of it. He had fallen asleep only to dream about Tina walking through the flames to join Grindelwald. Unlike Queenie, she did not seem to be in pain as she passed through the flames and the look on her face scared him.

Is this what all three of them are going through? he thought. Are none of them able to sleep? Are all their dreams haunted by the memory of losing Queenie or Credence?

A/N: This chapter is a bit shorter but I was still able to finish it since I had no classes this afternoon. Now I've got to do Math homework. I hope you enjoyed it. Please vote and comment.

Have a good day!

Bye!