Chapter 20

Tina blinked awake. She was lying on her bed, fully clothed. She didn't remember going up to her room. In fact, the last thing she remembered was being curled up against Newt on the couch.

Newt! 

Tina shot up. Newt was still there in the room. He had created a chair at the end of her bed and was curled up in it, asleep with a book open in his lap. He started, running a hand over his face and looking at her sleepily. He jumped to his feet, the book and the newspaper dropping to the floor.

"Tina!" he exclaimed. "You're awake! I'm so sorry. I'll just--" he stammered, snatching up the newspaper and backing towards the door.

"No, Newt, wait," she called. He stopped. "I--"

Newt took a step forward. "Yes?"

"You're still here?" Tina said, blushing slightly.

"I promised I wouldn't leave," he said simply.

"I-- Uh-- Thank you."

"It's nothing," Newt said quietly.

There was a moment of silence. It wasn't awkward, but it wasn't that comfortable either.

"Can I keep the newspaper?" Tina asked suddenly.

Newt glanced down at the paper in his hand. "Are you sure?"

Tina nodded and Newt came forward. He handed her the newspaper. She took it from him, careful not to look at the picture again. She glanced up to see him staring at her.

"I look awful, don't I?" she asked, offering him a weak smile.

Newt started and shook his head. "Never. You're a very beautiful woman." Blushing, he reached forward and barely touched her hair. Then hesitated and pulled away.

"I need to go," he said. He turned and quickly left the room, carefully shutting the door behind him.

Tina slowly got to her feet, setting the newspaper on the table by her bed. She ran her hands through her hair to smooth it down. Then she took a look at herself in the mirror.

Beautiful? How can Newt call me beautiful? she wondered. Her eyes and nose were still slightly red from all the crying she had done. Straightening the collar of her blouse, she quietly left the room and made her way to the bathroom. She turned on the tap and splashed water in her face. Grabbing a towel, she dried her face and looked at the result in the mirror.

A little better, she decided. . . . but still not what people would call beautiful.

Tina made her way downstairs. The moment she entered the living room, Achilles jumped to his feet.

"Tina!" He jumped to his feet and crossed the room. He pulled Tina into a hug. "You haven't been cheating on me, have you?" he asked, a playful smile on his face.

"What? You don't trust me?" she replied, acting injured. "Of course, I wasn't."

"Good." Achilles leaned forward and kissed her briefly. She accepted the kiss, realizing this wasn't the time to fight it.

Newt came into the room.

"Supper's ready."

The meal was quiet. Nagini must have told Jacob that something had happened because he looked upset and concerned. Newt and Tina were both silent. Occasionally, they would glance up at each other and their gazes would lock. They would both look down immediately, blushing slightly. Thankfully, Achilles didn't seem to notice, but Tina suspected Nagini had.

After the meal was over, Achilles motioned for Tina to join him in the living room. They took a seat on the couch and he pulled her closer. 

"You feeling better?"