Chapter 29

Newt had just set down the final bucket of feed when he felt a pair of arms circling his waist. He turned and wrapped his arms around Tina's shoulders.

"Hello, there," he said, laughing slightly.

Tina grinned at him. He pressed a kiss to her forehead. Then he disentangled himself from her arms and moved to straighten the things on his desk. She dropped into his chair.

"I still can't believe this," she sighed happily.

"What?" Newt gave her a curious look.

"We started dating in the middle of October and it's almost December," she said. "We've been dating for over a month."

"Well?" Newt said. He glanced at her nervously.

"What? You think I'm going to say I'm tired of you?" 

Newt's gaze dropped to the desk. "N -- no, I--"

"Newt, I could never get tired of you," Tina said. Getting to her feet, she made her way over to him and rested a hand on his arm. "You know that, right?"

Newt nodded slowly. "I know."

There was a pause. "What are you doing now?" Tina asked.

"I was going to work on my manuscript but if you want we can do something el--"

"Let's go on a walk," she interrupted. 

"A walk? Where?"

Tina shrugged. "I don't know. Just through London, I guess."

"Okay." Newt quickly adjusted a few things on his desk. Then he joined Tina and they left the house. They began walking arm in arm through the streets of London. Neither of them said anything for a long time.

"I've never been particularly fond of the city," Newt murmured eventually.

"I've always lived in the city," Tina responded. "I've pretty much spent my whole life in New York City, except for when I was at Ilvermorny."

"Where exactly is Ilvermorny?" Newt asked.

"It's in Massachusetts." Tina paused. "You didn't grow up in London?"

Newt shook his head. "I grew up in a large house on the outskirts of London. The house was pretty much in the countryside and it was quite wonderful. I spent quite a lot of time exploring the woods near our house when I was young."

"Newt, can I ask you something?" Tina said hesitantly.

"Of course you can," he replied. 

"It's kind of a personal question," she continued.

Newt glanced at her. "You can ask me anything, Tina."

"I -- I was wondering about your parents. I mean, you've never mentioned them and I don't even know if they're alive or not."

"Oh--" Newt was startled. "I -- I guess I haven't mentioned them."

"Are they alive?"

"Yes, they're alive."

"Well then, why haven't you ever mentioned them?" Tina asked.

"I don't know, I just never thought about them. I mean, you've never mentioned your parents," Newt pointed out.

"My parents are dead, Newt. There's not much to say about them."

"Right."

"Tell me about them," she urged.

"I don't know what to say," he said.

"Why don't you talk about them?"

"I don't know," Newt said. "I suppose it's because I never had a very strong relationship with them. My mum was nice enough, she bred Hippogriffs, but we were never very close. My father, on the other hand, was almost never at home. He worked for the Ministry and spent a lot of time on business trips in Europe. When he was home, he didn't have much time for Theseus or me.