Chapter 7

Newt raised his fist to knock on Tina's door. He hesitated. She hadn't come to breakfast and Nagini said she had been asleep. He didn't want to wake her up if she was still sleeping but he was worried about her.

He tapped on the door lightly. When there was no response, he opened it slowly. At first, the room appeared empty. He stepped inside, closing the door behind him. One of the beds was neatly made but the other was a mess. Tina's sleeping form was covered by the blankets, her messy hair poking out of the top. Approaching her slowly, he admired her sleeping features. Her face looked peaceful, more peaceful than it ever was during the day. She sifted slightly.

Newt took a few steps backward, bumping into a dresser. He turned and glanced at the surface. There was a letter sitting there. He was about to ignore it but the name on the signature caught his eye. Picking the letter up, he read through it quickly.

Dear Tina,

I miss you. Two and a half months is too long, especially when I can't write to you. I figured I'd be able to write now after I saw that article in the newspaper. There weren't too many details about the rally in Paris or the fight afterward but it mentioned that you were there as well as a No-Maj, that war hero, Theseus Scamander, and his brother, the author of the weird book about magical creatures.

I hope you're okay. I assume you're no longer needed in Paris, so when are you coming home? I can't wait to see you. I don't know where you are so I've sent this using an owl. You can just send your reply using the No-Maj postal service. It'll be safer.

I love you.

Love,
Achilles

Newt read the letter a second time. He wasn't surprised that this man, Achilles Tolliver, recognized his brother while calling him 'the author of the weird book about magical creatures'. He knew people wouldn't accept his book, especially in America. The number of people who had attended his book signing had surprised him until he realized they had probably just come because his brother was there. 

Setting the letter down, Newt started toward the door. He stopped when he heard the covers rustling behind him.

"Newt?" Tina's sleepy voice said. "What are you doing here?"

"Sorry. I was wondering where you were," Newt mumbled. "You weren't at breakfast and I was . . . worried . . . about you." He was blushing and looking up at Tina through his hair.

"Oh," she said, a note of surprise in her voice. A small blush appeared on her cheeks. "I'm -- I'm sorry. I was -- I slept in. I -- I didn't . . . sleep well last night," she admitted.

Newt took a step forward. "You didn't? What happened?"

"N -- nothing," Tina said, shaking her head. "I just . . . couldn't sleep."

Studying her face, Newt tried to figure out what had really happened. He knew it wasn't nothing. Something had kept her awake and it hadn't been a good thing.

"Bad dreams?" he guessed. Tina's blush intensified, giving him the answer he needed. He nodded. "We're all having those," he said gently. "It's nothing to be ashamed of."

Tina stared down at her blanket. Newt realized she wasn't going to say anything about it so he took a step backward. 

"I'll just go back down. Come when you're ready and I'll get you something to eat."

Tina nodded once and Newt left the room. He made his way downstairs to where Jacob and Nagini were putting away dishes.

"Jacob," he called. The man turned.