Chapter 30

December . . .

It was December. Tina hadn't fully realized that fact until after breakfast. When the realization had hit her, she had gone back up to the landing she had spent her first few weeks in London on. She knew that Newt would be along shortly but he was feeding his creatures at the moment so she had a few minutes to think.

December . . . 

December meant Christmas. Tina had always loved Christmas. It had always been a time when she could allow herself to escape; to forget all the problems that she had. She and Queenie had always spent Christmas together. Tina had always made a point of buying a tree. She and her sister had then decorated the tree together. On Christmas day, they had exchanged gifts, even though Queenie had always known exactly what Tina had bought her.

But now everything was different. Queenie wasn't here and Tina was facing a Christmas alone.

Tina smiled slightly. Except I'm not alone. I have Newt, and Jacob and Nagini.

Newt appeared at the top of the stairs.

"What are you doing back up here again?" he asked, taking a seat next to her.

"Thinking," she responded.

"About?"

"Christmas."

"Christmas?" he repeated.

"Uh huh." She paused. "What do you do for Christmas?"

Newt shrugged. "Nothing really. I mean, when you live by yourself it's kind of pointless."

"Do you ever get a tree?"

"Occasionally. What do you do for Christmas?"

"Queenie and I would decorate the house and a tree and we would get each other presents," she started. She went on to tell Newt about the different things she and her sister had done for different Christmasses. As she spoke, he had slipped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer. Eventually, she sighed. "This is my first Christmas without her."

"I know," Newt murmured. "I'm sure you miss her."

"I do," Tina replied. Then she added, "But this is our first Christmas together."

Newt chuckled. "It is," he agreed.

"What are we going to do?" Tina asked.

He offered her a lopsided grin. "I've got a few things planned but they're a surprise so don't ask me what they are."

Tina laughed. "Okay, then. I won't."

"Good," Newt said. "Now, I need to go out of the house to pick a few things up."

"Can I come?" 

"No," he grinned. "That would ruin the surprise."

"Newt," Tina groaned as he scrambled to his feet and dashed down the stairs. Pushing herself off the ground, she followed after him. He disappeared into his office and emerged with his case then made his way upstairs. She caught up to him at the front door where he had stopped to pull on his coat. He gave her a hug and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"I'll see you later," he murmured. Then he left the house. Tina sighed and returned to the living room. 

Nagini and Jacob were both in there.

"Where did you vanish to?" Nagini asked. "I thought we were going  to work on Transfiguration."

"I know. I'm sorry, I needed some time to think," Tina explained. "But I'm here now. Let's get to work." She pulled out her wand and Nagini did the same. They worked quietly for a while. Nagini had improved quite a lot in the last month and was now able to perform more complicated Transfigurations.