Chapter 21

Newt had been hesitant to leave Tina. He knew she had said she wouldn't go anywhere but he was still afraid that she would leave. However, she showed up to breakfast the next morning, the same as always, looking tired and upset, but none the worse for wear. 

That day was uneventful. Tina spent the morning teaching Nagini the stunning spell. The only upsetting thing that happened all day was when Jacob finally asked what had upset Tina so much. Newt had had to explain what it was. However, Jacob had taken in much better than Tina had. 

Newt was exhausted that evening. He had gone to bed and promptly fallen asleep only to wake a few hours later. He lay in bed, tossing and turning, but not managing to go back to sleep. Eventually, he pushed his blankets off of himself and got out of bed. He glanced at the time. It was 4:00. Sighing, he decided he might as well just go down to his basement and get some work done. 

"Lumos," he murmured. The tip of his wand lit up and he set it on his dresser. Then he changed into his usual clothes, a white shirt and grey pants. Snatching up his wand, he quietly left the room and made his way down to the basement. However, when he entered the living room, he heard something that made him stop. A slight scuffling was coming from the direction of the front door.

Newt approached the door slowly. He could see a figure pulling a coat off the hook.

"Who's there?" he said quietly. 

The figure started, spinning around. Newt raised his wand to illuminate the figure's features.

Tina.

"Newt!" she exclaimed.

"Tina, where are you going?"

"I have to find my sister."

"You promised you weren't going to leave," Newt said.

Tina let out a frustrated sigh. "I know but I realized I can't just leave her. I need to find her. I need her. I know you can't understand. You don't know what I'm going through. You didn't lose anyone in Paris." Her voice hadn't risen above a whisper but it was rising in pitch.

Something inside Newt snapped. "You think you're the only one who's lost someone?" he demanded. "You think you're the only one in pain? You think you're the only one this is affecting? I've seen how hard this is for Jacob and for Nagini. 

"Nagini hardly spoke during the first few weeks. The reason she pours so much of herself into studying magic is that she trying not to think about Credence. He was her only friend and he left her just so he could discover his identity. She's so eager to learn magic because she hopes it will make it easier for her to rescue Credence."

Tina had hesitated and was now standing motionless, her head bowed. At this point, Newt was fighting tears.

"And Jacob," he continued, pointing in the direction of the stairs. "Jacob also spent the few days in pain. He didn't show it but I know he was in pain. And even now, I know he's still suffering. When I wake up during the night, I hear him calling your sister's name in his sleep.

"I saw Theseus the other day and he's nothing like he used to be. He's broken, Tina. It's like he's lost everything.

"And you think this hasn't affected me in any way?" Newt was crying now, the tears streaming down his face. "I lost two good friends. Leta was the first friend I ever had. I hadn't spoken to her in years but we were still friends and she's gone. At least Queenie's still alive. Leta's dead. And I know I didn't love Queenie the way you or Jacob did but she was still my friend. The three of you were the first friends I had had since I was expelled from school and it did hurt to see her going through that flame. 

"On top of that, I had to deal with seeing all of you in pain. The three of you were all in your own worlds, trying to deal with your own pain that you didn't see how much pain the others were in. But I could see. I could see how much pain each of you were in and it hurt. Seeing you up there on that ledge, day after day, trying not to cry-- It hurt so much, Tina.

"I know I didn't really lose anyone the way any of you did and I don't want to. If you leave then I will have. I can't lose you, Tina. I can't lose--"

Newt couldn't go on. Closing his eyes, he lowered his head and let himself cry. His arms dropped to his sides and his wand slipped from his loose grasp, clattering to the floor. He heard Tina moving, heard the rustling of her coat followed by her footsteps. Then he felt her arms around him, pulling him closer. He rested his forehead against her shoulder, crying freely, his tears staining her shirt.

"Newt," she murmured. "I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry." She raised her hand to his head, tangling her fingers in his hair. "I was being selfish. I didn't realize-- I'm so sorry." Newt felt a tear land on his bare neck and realized she was crying too. "I'm not going anywhere, Newt. I promise."

Newt looked up. Tina was looking at him intently. There were tears on her cheeks and tears in her eyes. Newt knew he wouldn't be able to stop himself. He didn't want to stop himself. Before his mind could fully process what he was doing, he had leaned forward and captured her lips with his. He kissed her gently, exploring her mouth with his. She responded a moment later, kissing him back just as gently but just as eagerly.

Suddenly, he realized what he was doing. He pulled away.

"I'm so sorry," he stammered. "I--" He broke off and started to turn but was stopped by Tina's lips crashing against his. She kissed him passionately, her arms snaking around his neck, her fingers tangling in his hair. He returned her kiss, one arm wrapping itself firmly around her waist, the other hand making its way to her hair. He pulled her closer, deepening the kiss. 

Newt had never kissed anyone before, he had never wanted to kiss anyone before, but this felt wonderful. . . . This felt right.

The kiss went on for what felt like forever. They kissed each other passionately, neither one wanting to pull away. Eventually, the need for air forced them to break apart. They did so and stood there, staring at each other.

"Merlin's beard," Newt murmured. Tina said something at the same time but Newt didn't catch it.

Newt gasped, realizing what had just happened. He turned, snatched his wand off the floor, and bolted across the room, up the stairs, and into the room. Closing the door behind him, he let himself fall heavily against it. He slid to the floor.

What have I done?

A/N: And . . . YOU'RE WELCOME! FINALLY! I KNOW! I'm sure you enjoyed the chapter. Please vote and comment.

I spent half the afternoon in the woodworking shop at my school, trying to finish my TechEd project. Almost everything is officially assembled now. All I have to do is create and add a base, add a back, stain the wood, and varnish the whole thing. Then I'll be able to use it!

Have a good day!

Bye!