Chapter 11

"Don't be so violent," Newt said to Nagini. "Be gentle. Now, swish and flick."

"Wingardium Leviosa," Nagini said. The piece of parchment in front of her quivered slightly but didn't leave the table.

"No," Newt sighed. "You've got to be even more gentle. Watch the movement carefully." Newt performed the spell, making his movements deliberate so that Nagini could see them. "Now you try. Not the words, just the movement."

Nagini raised her wand again and performed the movement. Newt stepped closer to her and grabbed onto her hand. He guided it slowly through the air. "Like this."

She tried again.

"Good," Newt said. "Now try the spell."

Nagini nodded and pointed her wand at the piece of parchment. "Wingardium Leviosa," she said again. This time the parchment floated up a few inches above the table.

"Well done," Newt congratulated. "Keep practicing." He stepped back and took a seat on the couch next to Tina. She was reading a book. He watched as Nagini practiced the spell. Soon she was able to keep the parchment hovering for a long period of time.

Jacob came into the room and took a seat. "She's really learning a lot," he said.

"She is," Newt and Tina said at once. They glanced at each other and smiled slightly. Then they both blushed and looked away. Jacob chuckled. 

There was a knock on the door. Nagini turned, the piece of parchment fluttering to the floor. Everyone in the room glanced at each other. Newt got to his feet.

"I guess I should . . ." he started uncertainly. He slowly pulled out his wand and made his way towards the door. He could hear Tina following behind him. He pulled open the door.

A tall man with dark hair and a neat beard, who seemed to stand a little taller than Newt, stood in the doorway. Newt had never seen him before in his life but he heard Tina gasp and the sound of her wand clattering to the floor. He turned to see a shocked expression on her face.

"Achilles!" she breathed.

"Hello, Tina," the Achilles said. He took a step into the hall, his arms outstretched. Tina was still frozen but she recovered quickly and ran forward, jumping into her boyfriend's arms. Newt closed the door and slipped past them. He leaned over to pick up Tina's wand. When he looked up he saw Tina and Achilles still in each other's arms, their lips pressed together in a kiss. Newt was about to turn when Tina broke the kiss and took a step back.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I came to see you, baby," he said. "We haven't seen each other in three months."

"True," Tina said. Achilles leaned forward and kissed her again. She took a step back. "Don't kiss me in front of people," Newt heard her hiss. 

"You've never had a problem with it before," Achilles said, trying to pull her closer. She just shook her head and fended him off.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" she demanded.

"I wanted to surprise you."

Newt heard Jacob and Nagini come up behind him. Achilles finally looked past Tina at the other people in the room.

"Who are they?" he asked. "Is that Mr. Kowalski?"

Jacob stepped forward and held out his hand. Achilles shook it.

"Uh -- yeah," Tina said. "He's our friend. He's the Muggle -- I mean No-Maj that was in Paris. He's staying here because he can't really protect himself from a magical attack. That's why Nagini's staying here too. She didn't get to go to school so she didn't learn magic and can't protect herself but we're teaching her."