Chapter 36

Tina paced back and forth across the room. She finally stopped in front of the mirror and glanced at her reflection. 

Beautiful . . . she thought. Newt always calls me beautiful but I still can't believe he's right. But maybe, just this once, I am.

She carefully took a seat and studied her reflection. She was wearing the blue dress Newt had bought her. She found it ironic that he had bought the dress for her to wear on a date with Tolliver and yet her first time wearing it was to marry him.

I can't believe I'm getting married. In only a few minutes, I'll be marrying Newt.  

Tina caught herself trying to run a hand through her hair. She groaned and checked her reflection, glad to see she hadn't messed up her hair. Her dark hair had been curled and styled into a simple but elegant style. Nagini had done her makeup. It was nice and simple but Tina decided that it must be the reason she actually looked as good as she did. The only other thing she was wearing was the necklace Newt had given her for Christmas. She had worn the necklace every day since she had received it.

Tina jumped as the door opened and Nagini came in.

"You're very jumpy," the girl laughed. "Are you okay?"

"I -- I don't know," Tina said, getting to her feet.

"You're just nervous."

"More like terrified," Tina admitted. "I don't know if I'm ready for this. I don't know if I ever will be."

Nagini approached and carefully straightened her dress.

Tina went on. "I mean, I always thought Queenie would get married before me. She was always the one guys liked. I honestly thought I would never get married. I was the plain one. I was the one who was so focused on her job. I was responsible for taking care of us and I didn't have time for men."

"You were dating Tolliver," Nagini pointed out.

"Because of Newt. When I met Newt, my life changed. He was the first man I had ever had strong feelings for, I just didn't know what they were. I mean, I was crying when he left New York. I was actually crying. When I thought Newt was engaged I was so upset that I wanted to forget him. That's why I started dating Tolliver. I thought that if I had someone to love, someone who wasn't Newt, I wouldn't care what Newt did but it didn't work."

Tina turned back to the mirror.

"What if I'm making a mistake?"

Nagini made an exasperated noise and forced Tina to turn around.

"Does it feel like you're making a mistake?" she demanded.

Tina hesitated then shook her head slowly. "No. No, it doesn't. Honestly, nothing has ever felt more right."

"That's better," Nagini said. "Now, let's get you out there."

Tina took a deep breath to calm her nerves. Then she followed Nagini out of the room. The girl led her through the hallway of the small church. When they reached the end of the aisle, she slipped down the side of the room to join the small group of people sitting on the first few rows.

Tina looked down the aisle to where Newt stood at the front of the church. He was standing, wearing a grey suit, with his shoulder's hunched in his usual, shy position. Looking up, he met her gaze. He seemed to freeze, a look of awe on his face. His posture straightened, assuming a more confident pose. 

Swallowing the lump in her throat, Tina slowly began to walk down the aisle. It seemed to take forever but she finally reached the front of the church, climbed onto the platform, and made her way to stand beside Newt, the man who would shortly be her husband. She looked up at him. He was still staring at her so she offered him a smile. He gulped and tore his gaze away from her but he cautiously took her hand in his. She gave it a squeeze, hoping to tell him that everything was alright.