Chapter 17

Newt actively avoided Tina during the days following her and Tolliver's date. He thought it was for the best. Whatever was happening between him and Tina scared him. While they had been there together, he had loved it, it had felt wonderful, but that couldn't change the fact that Tolliver was here. Every time he looked at Tina, he found himself wondering what it would be like to kiss her, longing to feel her lips on his.

Tina had made it clear that she wasn't happy with this arrangement. She had tracked him down every chance she got and demanded to know why he was ignoring her. Every time she had, he had told her that he couldn't explain and that she should go back to Tolliver before he started to wonder where she was. She would scowl but she would do as he said. It hurt him to do this but he was too afraid of what could happen if he didn't.

Two days after the date, everyone had just finished supper and Newt had gone back into his basement. He had started to feed his creatures but Bunty and Nagini had said they would take care of it so he had fed the Kelpie and gone into his office to work on his manuscript. A few moments later, Tina stormed into the room.

"Newton Scamander," she said, coming to a stop on the other side of his desk. "We're having a talk and we're having it now."

"Where's Tolliver?" he asked automatically.

Tina scowled. "I don't care where he is, he knows he can't come into the basement."

"We've never specifically told him not to," Newt said. "And there are other people in the basement so it's not the best place for a private talk."

Tina pulled out her wand and pointed it at the door. It slammed shut and locked. Newt sighed.

"What are we talking about?" he asked resignedly.

"Why are you ignoring me?" Tina demanded. "Ever since I went on that date with Achilles you've hardly spent any time with me, or even around me."

"Tina," Newt said, trying to calm her down. He got to his feet and made his way around his desk. He grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her gently. "Tina, we can't be near each other. Every time we are, things get so complicated. We keep getting so close when we shouldn't. You have Tolliver."

"But what if I don't want Tolliver?" Tina said. She was beginning to cry. Newt realized that she wasn't thinking clearly. If she was, she wouldn't have been crying the way she was.

"Tina, please," he said. "Please calm down. You don't know what you're saying."

Tina lowered her head. She was crying properly now, her tears splashing on the wooden floor. Newt sighed and pulled her closer. He held her to him and gently stroked her hair. She rested her head on his chest, sobbing uncontrollably. Once her tears finally slowed, she spoke.

"I can't stand this anymore. Everyone is always leaving me and I'm stuck with Achilles Tolliver. I can only stand so much of his presence. It's so exhausting being around him. I used to go to Queenie for comfort but she left me. You were comforting me until Achilles showed up then you left me as well. Everyone leaves me when I need them most. Why does no one want to be near me?"

"Shh . . ." Newt murmured. He didn't know what to say. Seeing her like this broke his heart. He hadn't realized how this was affecting her but it was. "I'm so sorry, Tina."

"Don't say that," Tina said. She pulled away and took a few steps back. "You'll just say that and leave me again."

Newt shook his head. "No, Tina. I won't. I promise. I'll never leave you." He paused. She was still staring at the ground, shaking her head. "Tina, please. I'm so sorry. I didn't realize what this was doing to you. I didn't know you felt like this." He stepped towards her carefully, holding his arms out to her. She came forward hesitantly, letting him pull her back into his arms. "Tina, I do want to be near you. I want it so much that it hurts. But you need to understand that we can't. Tolliver might think there's something in there when there isn't."