Chapter 35

Newt and Tina had told Bunty about their engagement the day after Christmas. She had congratulated them and told them that she and Andrew would be at the wedding. The next day, they had gone to Hogwarts and told Dumbledore. It was now the day after that and they were going to tell Theseus. Newt had sent a letter the day before, asking if they could visit. The reply had come the next morning, telling him the time that Theseus would be home.

It was nearly time to go and Newt wasn't sure where Tina had gone. He had searched the basement and the main part of the house. The only place left was her room. He was about to climb the stairs when Nagini came down.

"Nagini, is Tina in her room?" he asked.

"Yeah, that's why I was looking for you. She's crying. I think she needs you."

Newt frowned slightly. "Oh, th-thank you."

He pushed past her and quickly made his way to Tina's door. He gently tapped on the door, calling her name softly. There was no response. Slowly turning the handle, he pushed the door open and looked inside. Tina was lying curled up on her bed, crying into her pillow.

"Tina?" he murmured again, closing the door behind him. He made his way over to her and carefully sat on the edge of her bed. Gently resting his hand on her back, he began rubbing it gently. She produced an audible sob. "Shh, Tina, it's okay."

Tina hesitantly released her pillow and slowly sat up. She snuggled up to Newt, crying into his chest. He hugged her closer, gently rubbing her back. "Shh, Tina," he murmured.

They stayed like this for several minutes until Tina's tears finally slowed. She slowly released her grip on Newt and pulled away to wipe her eyes.

"Tina, what happened? What's wrong?" he asked hesitantly.

"I -- I just realized something," she said slowly.

"What?"

"We're getting married in only a few days," she started.

"Is that what's wrong?" Newt asked quickly. "Do you not want to marry me anymore?"

"Newt, no, that's not -- That's not it. I do want to marry you. It's just that . . . I realized that . . ." Tina trailed off. Newt watched her carefully. Her head was bent and she was nervously twisting her ring around her finger. Suddenly, she reached out and pulled open the drawer in her bedside table, pulling something out of it. It was a picture frame. She handed it to Newt and he studied it.

It was a picture of Queenie. It was an older picture, taken back when her hair was still in tight curls. She was looking right at the camera, her look of perfect innocence offset by the cheeky glint in her eyes. Her lips formed a small smirk, almost as if she, the picture, could tell what Newt was thinking.

Newt glanced up at Tina.

"I just wish she could be here," she said. "I miss her so much. Growing up she was my only friend. I never thought I would ever get married but I always assumed that, if I did, she'd be at the wedding."

"I know," Newt murmured. "I know." He handed the picture back to Tina. She glanced at it then put it back into the drawer. Then she leaned against Newt and he pulled her close again. He was startled when she let out a soft laugh.

"What?" Newt asked.

"I still can't believe we're getting married," she said softly, a small smile forming on her lips.

"Yes," Newt said. "It is quite astounding. But it's true." There was a paused then he went on. "I think we ought to go. Theseus will be waiting for us."