Chapter 26

Tina's eyes fluttered open. For a moment, she didn't know where she was. Then she remembered. She was on the couch in Newt's living room and had just spent the night curled up his arms. She shifted slightly so she could see his face. He was leaning against the back of the couch, still asleep. As she watched his face, she brought her hand up to her jaw. It didn't hurt anymore, Newt had healed it perfectly. 

Part of her wanted to stay here, at least until Newt woke up but she was afraid. She was afraid of what the conversation might be, afraid that Newt might regret what he had said. Tina swung her feet off the couch and got up. She started across the room.

"Tina?" Newt's sleepy voice reached her ears. She stopped. His footsteps approached her. "Tina, I -- Do you want to tell me what happened last night?"

Tina stared straight ahead. She took a deep breath then slowly shook her head. She could feel Newt resting his hand on the middle of her back. Turning to look at him, she offered him a small smile. His hand was now resting on her upper arm. 

"Are you going to be okay?" he asked.

She nodded and pulled him into a hug. He hugged her close and, for the first time since her parents had died, she felt truly safe. Eventually, they pulled apart. 

"I'll start making breakfast," Newt murmured. He made his way through the door to the kitchen. She followed. He pulled out his wand and started preparing food. She began setting the table, doing it without magic just to make it take longer.

Nagini entered the room just as Tina was dropping into her chair.

"When did you get back?" she asked.

"Uh -- One o'clock," Tina responded. Jacob entered the room as she spoke.

"Then how are you already awake?" Nagini said.

Tina shrugged. She glanced at Newt who offered her a small smile as he set the food on the table. The four of them took their seats.

"Where's Tolliver?" Jacob asked glancing around the table.

Tina shrugged. "How should I know?"

Nagini was looking at her intently. "You know something. There are only four plates at this table."

"I don't know where Tolliver is. All I know is he's not coming to breakfast."

Nagini and Jacob both looked at her curiously but they took their seats without any further questions. Newt sat beside Tina, giving her hand a squeeze under the table. The four of them ate breakfast in comparative silence. When they finished, Jacob and Nagini offered to clear up. Newt went into his basement and Tina wandered back into the living room. A book sat on the table, she picked it up.

It was about magical creatures. She chuckled slightly. 

Of course Newt's reading about magical creatures.

She pulled her wand out and tapped the cover of the book. It flew out of her hands and took its place on a shelf.

The front door opened and Tina spun around, her wand raised.

Bunty came into the house. Tina let out a sigh of relief.

"Hello, Bunty," she said as the woman pulled off her coat and hung it up. "It's good to see you again."

Bunty came over. "Hello, Tina. Why did you jump when I came in?" She looked at Tina's face. "You look exhausted."

Tina sighed. "A lot happened while you were gone."

Bunty raised her eyebrows.

"I don't want to talk about it," Tina added quickly.

She made her way upstairs and slipped into her room. Pulling out a fresh set of clothes, she changed and looked at her face in the mirror. She ran her hand over her left cheek. It looked normal and there was no bruising left. She sighed.