Chapter 23

Newt had ducked his head the moment Tolliver had entered the room. He had avoided looking at everyone as the argument started. Tolliver had stormed out and Tina had followed a moment later. The room had been left in silence. Tina reappeared a few moments, storming through the room and down into the basement. After a pause, Nagini set her cup in the sink and followed after her, leaving Jacob and Newt behind.

"What happened?" Jacob finally asked.

"Tolliver thinks Tina cheated on him," Newt mumbled. "He--"

"Where did he get that idea from?" Jacob asked.

Newt blushed. "He -- he must have seen what happened last night. I suppose I was yelling at Tina for trying to leave. I'm surprised you and Nagini didn't wake up."

"Well, what happened?"

Newt groaned. "I was crying. Tina was crying because I was crying. I felt so bad for making her cry. She was so beautiful. I couldn't help myself."

"What are you saying?" Jacob asked.

"I kissed her," Newt admitted. "I kissed Tina and she kissed me back. I shouldn't have and now I've made things even more confusing for her. She's already going through so much and this kiss just adds another thing for her to worry about, especially since Tolliver saw."

"Well?" Jacob said.

Newt glanced up at his friend. He was looking at him intently. 

"Well what?" he demanded.

"Well, how was it?"

Newt's blush intensified. "I've never kissed anyone before," he mumbled. "I don't have anything to compare it to."

"You don't have to compare it to anything, Jacob said. "Just tell me what you thought of it."

"It was amazing," he admitted. "I've never experienced anything even comes close to how that kiss felt. I --" Newt groaned and ran his hands over his face. "What's gotten into me?"

Jacob chuckled. "You're in love, buddy. You're in love."

"What am I supposed to do?" he moaned.

"Go talk to her," Jacob suggested. "Find out what she's thinking; how she's feeling."

"Jacob."

"Newt, I'm serious. Just go. She needs you."

Newt shook his head. "I -- I've got to go out."

Before Jacob could protest, Newt had left the room and grabbed his coat off the hook on the wall. He pulled it on and yanked the door open. Leaving the house, he closed the door and Disapparated. He appeared in another part of London.

He wandered through the streets for hours, going in and out of different shops but never buying anything. He was trying not to think about Tina, but she was the only thing on his mind.

She's so beautiful. And kissing her . . . it was wonderful. Her lips were so soft. . . . It was wonderful.

These and many other thoughts swirled through his mind. Eventually, his hunger got the better of him. He ducked into a nearby restaurant and ordered something to eat. He ate slowly, trying to kill time. When he was done, he paid for his food and left. He ducked into an alley and Disapparated, appearing in Diagon Alley. He was already out of the house so he figured he might as well pick up a few things. 

He stepped into the apothecary and purchased a few potion supplies. He slipped the package into his pocket and left the building. It was getting dark. As he walked down the street, he thought he recognized someone coming towards him. It was Tolliver.