Chapter 12

Tina could hear soft footsteps approaching. She knew who it was even before she looked up. She, Newt, Jacob, and Nagini were still the only ones allowed near the Zouwu's enclosure but Jacob and Nagini rarely ever came. Tina glanced up through the Zouwu's mane. Newt was slowly coming towards her. He crouched down in front of her.

"Tina," he said softly.

She looked up and halfheartedly aimed a swipe at his leg. He blocked it with his arm.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

Tina glared at him. "What's wrong?" she demanded. "What's wrong? You read the letters Achilles sends me and you ask what's wrong?" 

"Tina, it was just one letter," Newt said, frowning slightly. "Just the one. I know I shouldn't have read it but it was there on your dresser and I saw the name. I couldn't help myself. I'm so sorry."

"When were you in my room?" she asked, still trying to sound annoyed.

"That morning, when you didn't come down to breakfast. I went up to find you but you were still asleep. You had been having bad dreams."

Tina buried her face back into the Zouwu's mane. "Oh, right," she mumbled.

They were silent for a moment then Newt asked, "Have you been having bad dreams lately?"

Tina looked up. "I always have bad dreams," she said without thinking. She caught the concerned look on Newt's face. "I mean, I've been having bad dreams most nights since I was in school. I'm used to them." Newt still looked concerned. "I haven't had any really bad dreams since that one," she offered, quickly burying her face again. It was a lie. The last few nights had been filled with strangely awful dreams.

"Really?" Newt said, raising his eyebrows. "Nagini said she heard you crying last night."

Tina looked up suddenly. "She did?"

Newt smiled sadly. "No, she didn't tell me anything."

Tina scowled. 

"I wish I didn't have to trick you to get you to admit you're in pain. I wish you would just admit it," Newt sighed. "You're still dreaming about Queenie?"

Tina hesitated but she recovered quickly. "Uh -- yeah. I -- I'm still dreaming about Queenie."

Newt was studying her carefully. Somehow, he seemed to know she was still lying. "No, you're not."

Tina blushed slightly and hid her face. She didn't understand Newt. He was so shy and gentle but he was so persistent but he always knew when something was bothering her and, somehow, he always seemed to know exactly what was bothering her. It was slightly annoying but also very comforting.

"Tina," Newt murmured. She shook her head slightly. "Tina, please, tell me what your dream was about."

"I -- I can't."

"Please."

Tina looked up at Newt. He was looking at her, a genuinely concerned expression on his face. 

"I -- It --" Tina looked down. "It was --" She dropped her voice to a mere whisper. "It was about you."

"Me?"

Tina nodded. "You -- you followed Queenie through the flames to Grindelwald."

There was silence. She glanced up to see Newt's face. He was studying her but she couldn't read his expression. His face slowly began to slip into a slightly sad expression. He raised his hand and gently rested it on her arm.

"I know how you feel. I've had similar dreams."

Tina met his eyes. "Wha-- You have?"

Newt nodded, blushing slightly. "I've had dreams about you following Grindelwald too."