Chapter 32

Tina was supposed to be setting the table but she wasn't. She had stopped, still holding a plate, and leaned against the edge of the table, studying Newt. She had been doing this a lot recently, ever since they had gotten back from their shopping trip, to be precise. She knew she shouldn't, but she couldn't help herself. Something was different about him. Something was off.

He's not acting like himself, she mused. Then she hesitated. That wasn't it. It's not that he's not acting like himself, its that he is acting like himself. He's acting like the Newt I met in New York. Ever since they had returned from Diagon Alley, ever since she and Jacob had rejoined Newt and Nagini, Tina realized, Newt had reverted back to his intensely shy self. He rarely met people's gaze and his speech was mumbled. She was reminded of her first dinner with him, just over a year ago, back in her apartment in New York.

In a way, he was acting even shyer, than then. He would still speak to Tina, and occasionally give her a brief kiss, but he seemed to be avoiding her. But he's not doing it on purpose, she thought. I don't think he even realizes he's doing it.

Newt was finishing up breakfast. He turned to set the food on the table, meeting Tina's stare for a split second. He looked away immediately and mumbled something about needing to find Jacob and Nagini. Tina set the plate on the table and began to take a step forward. However, before she could speak, and before Newt could run off, Jacob entered the room.

"Morning," he said cheerfully.

"Good morning, Jacob," Tina said, suppressing a sigh.

A moment later, Nagini burst into the room, a look of excitement on her face.

"It's snowing!" she exclaimed. "Come see!" 

She grabbed Tina and Newt, dragging them into the living room. Jacob trailed dutifully behind.

"See!"

Sure enough, a light blanket of snow already coated the ground and it was snowing steadily. The world outside looked beautiful.

"Have you never seen snow before?" Jacob asked.

"I have once," Nagini replied. "Last year. With the circus. We were touring America during December and it was snowing many places. I've never really been in it though."

"Maybe we can go out once it's stopped snowing and there's a little more snow on the ground," Tina offered.

"Can we?" Nagini asked, excitement apparent in her eyes.

"I don't see why not."

"But let's have breakfast first," Jacob said.

Tina spent the morning helping Bunty rearrange boxes of supplies. They had been talking as they worked and Bunty was currently telling her how she had met Andrew Whittaker, the man she had been dating for almost a month.

Newt entered the room. When he realized they were there, he quickly apologized, snatched something off a shelf, and retreated from the room. Tina and Bunty glanced at each other.

"He's been acting different," Tina pointed out. "Have you noticed?"

"I have," Bunty said. "And I've also noticed he's only really doing it around you."

"Me?" Tina asked. "But why would he be acting differently around me? We've been dating for two months. You'd think he would be used to being around me by now."

Bunty shrugged. "I don't know. You know him better than I do."

"But you've known him longer," Tina argued.