Chapter 31

It was only a few days until Christmas and Newt had decided to take everyone to Diagon Alley so they could do some shopping. They reached the busy street and decided to split up. Jacob and Nagini had gone off in one direction, leaving Tina and Newt to do their shopping. They had agreed to meet in an hour to switch groups. 

Newt slipped an arm around Tina's waist and they slowly made their way along the row of shops. 

"Honestly, I'm nervous about leaving Jacob and Nagini alone," Tina murmured. "I mean, Jacob's a No-Maj and Nagini doesn't know that much magic yet."

Newt shrugged. "She knows enough and I'm sure that if they are attacked, someone will probably be nearby to protect them. We're on a street full of magical people."

"I know, but its still--"

"You know very well that they wanted to give us time alone."

"Because we can't get that at home?" Tina asked dryly. Then she laughed. "I am glad to be with you though."

"So am I," Newt replied.

They made their way into a nearby shop and wandered around, trying to decide what to get for Jacob and Nagini. Jacob's gift was easy. Newt and Tina decided to get him a collection of cooking utensils that had been enchanted to work by themselves with no extra magic needed. Then they each chose some little magical trinkets for Nagini. 

Tina suggested they go to the bookshop so Newt took her to Flourish and Blotts. 

"Newt, look," she exclaimed as they reached the shop.

"What?" he asked.

"It's your book," she replied, pointing to the window. Sure enough, a stack of many copies Newt's book sat there. A sign above it read 'Best Seller'.

"Your book is doing so well," she said, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

Newt looked down and blushed. "I guess it is," he murmured. "I don't know why though. It's not very good."

"Newt, what are you talking about?" Tina demanded, forcing him to look at her. "I read your book and I thought it was wonderful. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like it."

"You read my book?" Newt asked.

Tina laughed slightly. "I've told you this before."

"I know." He hesitated. "You actually bought the book?"

"Of course I did, Newt. It was one of my favorite books. I still know where it is unless Queenie moved it. Of course, it's still in New York, along with a number of other things I'd like to have. I'd like to go back and get them at some point." Her voice had lowered as she spoke and Newt suspected she was just thinking out loud.

Newt suddenly felt guilty. "Tina, I'm so sorry I couldn't bring you a copy. I really wanted to but the Ministry--"

"Wouldn't let you travel," Tina finished. "I know. It's okay. I understand everything now. I know it wasn't your fault." She offered him a smile.

Newt stared at Tina but his mind had wandered. It had settled on a small, rectangular package that sat in the back of one of his desk drawers, underneath the passport he hadn't been able to use for a whole year. It was a copy of his book, the very first copy to be precise. He had been planning to take it to Tina but his request to travel back to New York had been denied. He had considered sending it to her along with an apology and an explanation as to why he couldn't bring it himself. However, somehow that felt wrong. He had wanted to hand it to her personally but he had still sent the apology . . . and Tina had misinterpreted it . . . and the magazine.