Day 10

I went out hunting.

Today's spoils were Horned Rabbits, Night Vipers and Armored Tanuki's.

We were unable to capture a Seven Colored Bat. I felt that I was close to learning something from eating it, but it can't be helped. Such things happen.

Ah, by the way, even though we encountered various creatures they all seemed to be a lot stronger than us, so we avoided them and hunted what we were used to.

Oh well, we're steadily raising our level, so we'll hunt them sooner or later.

Ah, since hunting is finished for today, I will explain levels to you.

Levels, to put it plainly, is partly a manifestation that makes different individuals strength easy to understand.

Though I do not understand the working principle, when you squint a number will faintly appear floating in your field of vision.

The maximum level that can be obtained is 100, and this number can't be exceeded.

Incidentally, right now my level is 86 and, as a goblin, it is fairly high.

I think it might have risen so much because I've been killing and eating high rank stuff like Night Vipers without receiving a single injury.

Also, although it might be inconsequential, Gobukichi is 78 and Gobumi is 55. We are getting stronger at a good pace.

Although to say that as a goblin, even when comparing a level 100 to other races we are still treated as small fry, so right now level does not really matter.

However, in this world there exists other interesting rules than levels.

According to Gobu-jii, when reaching level 100, growth stops there.

However those individuals with potential to grow further do not stop there, but instead can grow stronger through "Rank Up".

In short, the individuals who have accomplishments can evolve into a stronger race, further increasing the individual's power.

If you assume that today I will keep growing as well, then generally I'd first evolve into a hobgoblin from a goblin, then into an ogre.

That is the general route.

Be that as it may, there exists other routes than to evolve into ogres. However, what race you evolve into will depend upon what actions you have performed.

For example, those who had turned into ogres, drinking the blood of prey willingly, who have a certain intelligence, strength, and above all a high pride, turn into vampires.

Those who had turned into ogres, preferring to use heavyweight weapons like axes and large swords, such individuals endowed with unusual strength and resilience turn into Minotaurs.

Those who had turned into hobgoblins, continuing to eat rotten corpses' flesh and bodily fluids willingly, and finally start to eat even souls, become a [ Ghoul ].

Those who were hobgoblin until now, that excel in handling certain weapons such as the sword, katana and spears, certain people who have intelligence and skills closest to a human become another existence completely [ Half Blood Lord ] it's divided into various classifications of the [ Lord ] race system.

With things being as they are, following this system, by leveling up I'd turn into something related to an ogre.

This law of the evolution of species is to put it bluntly, very strange, however since it actually happens I can't deny it, and for me who's living in a world of survival of the fittest this helps me too.

Well, Gobu-jii says that usually [Rank Up] doesn't happen early. Because I wanted to see how far I could go, I didn't have a problem with that and decided to treat it as a challenge.

Nevertheless, for example even if I become an ogre, I wonder what sort of evolution I will have.

I don't think I will turn into a Vampire, because I don't really have very high pride.

Probably not Minotaur, since I prefer light thrusting class weapons more than heavier weapons.

I really don't want to turn into a Ghoul.

Well, the ghoul class is an undead, the same as the vampire, and there exist several different undead you can evolve into, for example the spell slinging Lich or the headless horseman Dullahan, according to Gobu-jii.

If you want to become an undead type monster, it is easier to turn into a ghoul than a vampire, however losing the flesh of your body is a definite weakness.

The evolution that seemed best to me from his explanation seemed to be the Lord, who uses various types of weapons.

Oh well, I still have a long way to go and it is not happening anytime soon. Having tired out from listening to his speech, I went to sleep since night had fallen.